From: Mr. Chow Wing Siu on
Hi all,

I tried and failed to install Solaris x86 u8 on the following config:

Intel Core i5 661 (3.33GHz) 4M Socket 1156
Gigabyte GA-P55A P55 DDR-III USB3.0 SATA3 6Gb/s
Super Talent DDR3 1600 2G Ram x 4
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 64M Harddisk
Solidata Pacer-64L SSD SLC (limited edition) x 2
Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Server PCI-E 4X Network Card
Gigabyte HD4550 512M DDR3 DVI+HDMI Display Card

It is hang on booting the Solaris DVD. The screen shows the
SunOS banner; then everything is freezed.

I tried to install Windows 7 and Windows 2003 without problem.

Do anyone get any idea? Thanks in advance.

--
Johnson Chow
From: solx on
On 14/05/2010 11:27, Mr. Chow Wing Siu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried and failed to install Solaris x86 u8 on the following config:
>
> Intel Core i5 661 (3.33GHz) 4M Socket 1156
> Gigabyte GA-P55A P55 DDR-III USB3.0 SATA3 6Gb/s
> Super Talent DDR3 1600 2G Ram x 4
> Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA3 64M Harddisk
> Solidata Pacer-64L SSD SLC (limited edition) x 2
> Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Server PCI-E 4X Network Card
> Gigabyte HD4550 512M DDR3 DVI+HDMI Display Card
>
> It is hang on booting the Solaris DVD. The screen shows the
> SunOS banner; then everything is freezed.
>
> I tried to install Windows 7 and Windows 2003 without problem.
>
> Do anyone get any idea? Thanks in advance.

Are you using a SATA DVD Drive, if so can you replace it with an IDE DVD
drive?
I had problems with SATA DVD drives when I tried to upgrade to Solaris
u6, u7 and u8 from Solaris u5.
From: John D Groenveld on
In article <hsj8j0$139i$1(a)net44p.hkbu.edu.hk>,
Mr. Chow Wing Siu <Johnson.Chow(a)Comp.HKBU.Edu.HK> wrote:
>I tried and failed to install Solaris x86 u8 on the following config:

Does OpenSolaris Live CD boot? If so, would you post the output
of scanpci?

John
groenveld(a)acm.org
From: Mr. Chow Wing Siu on
solx <nospam(a)example.net> wrote:
> Are you using a SATA DVD Drive, if so can you replace it with an IDE DVD
> drive?
> I had problems with SATA DVD drives when I tried to upgrade to Solaris
> u6, u7 and u8 from Solaris u5.

After your suggestion, I tried to use IDE DVD drive. It hangs too.

Any hint?

--
Johnson Chow
From: Ian Collins on
On 05/15/10 03:02 PM, Mr. Chow Wing Siu wrote:
> solx<nospam(a)example.net> wrote:
>> Are you using a SATA DVD Drive, if so can you replace it with an IDE DVD
>> drive?
>> I had problems with SATA DVD drives when I tried to upgrade to Solaris
>> u6, u7 and u8 from Solaris u5.
>
> After your suggestion, I tried to use IDE DVD drive. It hangs too.
>
> Any hint?

Try John's suggestion.

--
Ian Collins