From: hadi motamedi on
Dear All
My Solaris 8 server cannot be booted from its hard disk , returning
the following error message :
'Boot device: /pci(a)1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@d/disk@0,0 File and args:
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package
Can't open boot device'
Can you please let me know how can I recover it from this state , as I
need to have access to its saved data?
Thank you
From: Ian Collins on
On 03/16/10 09:03 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> My Solaris 8 server cannot be booted from its hard disk , returning
> the following error message :
> 'Boot device: /pci(a)1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@d/disk@0,0 File and args:
> Bad magic number in disk label
> Can't open disk label package
> Can't open boot device'
> Can you please let me know how can I recover it from this state , as I
> need to have access to its saved data?

Restore from backup?

You might be able to boot from CD/DVD and read the data.

--
Ian Collins
From: hadi motamedi on
On Mar 16, 8:31 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/16/10 09:03 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
>
> > Dear All
> > My Solaris 8 server cannot be booted from its hard disk , returning
> > the following error message :
> > 'Boot device: /pci(a)1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@d/disk@0,0 File and args:
> > Bad magic number in disk label
> > Can't open disk label package
> > Can't open boot device'
> > Can you please let me know how can I recover it from this state , as I
> > need to have access to its saved data?
>
> Restore from backup?
>
> You might be able to boot from CD/DVD and read the data.
>
> --
> Ian Collins

I tried to boot from cdrom but I am facing with 'No disks found'
message . Does it mean I am facing with hard disk hardware problem?
Thank you
From: Ian Collins on
On 03/16/10 10:09 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
> On Mar 16, 8:31 am, Ian Collins<ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> On 03/16/10 09:03 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All
>>> My Solaris 8 server cannot be booted from its hard disk , returning
>>> the following error message :
>>> 'Boot device: /pci(a)1f,0/pci@1,1/ide@d/disk@0,0 File and args:
>>> Bad magic number in disk label
>>> Can't open disk label package
>>> Can't open boot device'
>>> Can you please let me know how can I recover it from this state , as I
>>> need to have access to its saved data?
>>
>> Restore from backup?
>>
>> You might be able to boot from CD/DVD and read the data.
>
> I tried to boot from cdrom but I am facing with 'No disks found'
> message . Does it mean I am facing with hard disk hardware problem?

That looks very likely.

--
Ian Collins
From: hadi motamedi on
On Mar 16, 9:13 am, Ian Collins <ian-n...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/16/10 10:09 PM, hadi motamedi wrote:

> >> Restore from backup?
>
> >> You might be able to boot from CD/DVD and read the data.
>
> > I tried to boot from cdrom but I am facing with 'No disks found'
> > message . Does it mean I am facing with hard disk hardware problem?
>
> That looks very likely.
>
> --
> Ian Collins- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much for your help . You are right and the HDD is no
longer usable . I am seeking if I can find a replacement locally.
Thanks again