From: Emile van Sebille on
On 7/1/2010 10:46 AM Brian Victor said...
> Emile van Sebille wrote:
>> When I started having trouble about ten years ago, I switched to a
>> keyboard with integrated mouse pad. No problems since...
>
> Where did you find that? I've been looking for one. (Assuming you mean
> a trackpad, and not a mouse pad.)

Actually, I guess it's called a touchpad? And they are hard to find
with the ergonomic split keyboard and touchpad placement I prefer. I
have three systems I do most of my work on, so when I spot the kind I
like I buy four or more so I can update all the keyboards at once and
still have a spare.

A quick check on cdw.com doesn't show any at the moment. Froogle shows
some, but none that match the layout I like.

Emile

From: Aahz on
In article <20100701190033.15ceaeea(a)geekmail.INVALID>,
Andreas Waldenburger <usenot(a)geekmail.INVALID> wrote:

>Since we're on the subject: I find the best solution for "lots of
>typing with a little mousing" to be a keyboard with a pointing stick
>(or track point or nav stick or whatever people call it). I'm not quite
>sure why they haven't become standard issue on keyboards. Shame, is
>what that is.

My solution is to simply use the pointing device as little as possible.
Keyboards rule!
--
Aahz (aahz(a)pythoncraft.com) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you don't know what your program is supposed to do, you'd better not
start writing it." --Dijkstra
From: Cameron Simpson on
On 01Jul2010 19:00, Andreas Waldenburger <usenot(a)geekmail.INVALID> wrote:
| On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:35:31 -0700 Ethan Furman <ethan(a)stoneleaf.us>
| wrote:
| > I'll have to give the left-handed mouse a try... hmmm -- not too bad
| > so far.
|
| Since we're on the subject: I find the best solution for "lots of
| typing with a little mousing" to be a keyboard with a pointing stick
| (or track point or nav stick or whatever people call it). I'm not quite
| sure why they haven't become standard issue on keyboards. Shame, is
| what that is.

I like the pointing stick too ("trackpoint" in IBM land), yea, even to
the point of specially buying an IBM trackpoint keyboard several years
ago for our computer room. I used to strongly favour ThinkPads for the
same reason (they are/were decent in other ways too, but it was the
trackpoint that was their killer feature for me).

I've been pushed to a MacBook of late (changed jobs and death/tiredness
of the thinkpads) and am getting by with the touchpad, whcih works
fairly well; I used to always turn touchpads off in the past, so maybe
my stance has changed slightly - I used to brush them all the time,
and many systems doubled up a transient brush as a mouse click:-(
The Mac's click-to-focus model may also be helping me here - my thinkpad
desktop would be UNIX X11 in focus-follows-mouse mode, which is far more
sensitive to trouble from accidental mouse movement.

But yes, the trackpoint _greatly_ reduced my need to move my arms to
reach for a mouse. Loved it.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs(a)zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

"I'm a lawyer." "Honest?" "No, the usual kind."
From: Chris Rebert on
On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Andreas Waldenburger
<usenot(a)geekmail.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:35:31 -0700 Ethan Furman <ethan(a)stoneleaf.us>
> wrote:
>
>> I'll have to give the left-handed mouse a try... hmmm -- not too bad
>> so far.
>
> Since we're on the subject: I find the best solution for "lots of
> typing with a little mousing" to be a keyboard with a pointing stick
> (or track point or nav stick or whatever people call it).

The appropriate term varies:
http://xkcd.com/243/

Cheers,
Chris