From: Ethan Furman on
Ben Finney wrote:
> geremy condra <debatem1(a)gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Right. I'm much more concerned about the position of my Ctrl key, to
>>> avoid hand injury from all the key chording done as a programmer.
>> Not saying its a cure-all, but I broke my hand pretty badly a few years
>> ago and had a lot of luck with a homemade foot switch for each of the
>> meta keys. Was pretty fun to do (all things considered) and worked
>> pretty well. I'm sure if you're willing to do some shopping around you
>> could get a prefab one fairly cheaply.
>
> My current solution is:
>
> * Never use a notepad on the couch, but only ever at a properly adjusted
> table/desk and chair.
>
> * Remap CapsLock as an additional Ctrl key, on every computer I use
> (nobody has ever minded this, because they don't use that key at all
> :-)
>
> * Use my left hand for operating the mouse, since this brings it much
> closer to the home position on the keyboard, and a standard keyboard
> design forces the right hand to do disproportionately more work.
>
> * Use a wrist support, consisting of two plastic discs that are
> separated and move freely against each other, that allows my whole arm
> to move for moving the mouse and hence avoid bending my wrist for that
> operation.
>
> Quite cheap and simple, and I've thereby had no recurrence of injury for
> the past 3 years.

I'll have to give the left-handed mouse a try... hmmm -- not too bad so far.

I also switched over to the Dvorak keyboard layout. Made a world of
difference for me.

~Ethan~
From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:35:31 -0700 Ethan Furman <ethan(a)stoneleaf.us>
wrote:

> I'll have to give the left-handed mouse a try... hmmm -- not too bad
> so far.

Since we're on the subject: I find the best solution for "lots of
typing with a little mousing" to be a keyboard with a pointing stick
(or track point or nav stick or whatever people call it). I'm not quite
sure why they haven't become standard issue on keyboards. Shame, is
what that is.

/W

--
INVALID? DE!

From: Emile van Sebille on
On 7/1/2010 10:00 AM Andreas Waldenburger said...
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:35:31 -0700 Ethan Furman<ethan(a)stoneleaf.us>
> wrote:
>
>> I'll have to give the left-handed mouse a try... hmmm -- not too bad
>> so far.
>
> Since we're on the subject: I find the best solution for "lots of
> typing with a little mousing" to be a keyboard with a pointing stick
> (or track point or nav stick or whatever people call it). I'm not quite
> sure why they haven't become standard issue on keyboards. Shame, is
> what that is.
>
> /W

When I started having trouble about ten years ago, I switched to a
keyboard with integrated mouse pad. No problems since...

Emile

From: Andreas Waldenburger on
On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:09:30 -0700 Emile van Sebille <emile(a)fenx.com>
wrote:

> On 7/1/2010 10:00 AM Andreas Waldenburger said...
> > On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 09:35:31 -0700 Ethan Furman<ethan(a)stoneleaf.us>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I'll have to give the left-handed mouse a try... hmmm -- not too
> >> bad so far.
> >
> > Since we're on the subject: I find the best solution for "lots of
> > typing with a little mousing" to be a keyboard with a pointing stick
> > (or track point or nav stick or whatever people call it). I'm not
> > quite sure why they haven't become standard issue on keyboards.
> > Shame, is what that is.
> >
> > /W
> >

> When I started having trouble about ten years ago, I switched to a
> keyboard with integrated mouse pad. No problems since...

Not bad, but you'll still have to move away your hand from the home row
that way. Pointing stick, I tells ya, pointing stick!

;)
/W

--
INVALID? DE!

From: Brian Victor on
Emile van Sebille wrote:
> When I started having trouble about ten years ago, I switched to a
> keyboard with integrated mouse pad. No problems since...

Where did you find that? I've been looking for one. (Assuming you mean
a trackpad, and not a mouse pad.)

That said, my own solution was the Kensington Expert Mouse. For some
reason, the trackball hurts me much less than a real mouse, and keeps me
from being disproportionately annoyed when I have to pick up my pointing
device to move the cursor where I want it. ;)

--
Brian