From: John Corliss on
I know this program was discussed here briefly in late June, but I just
read about it again. Looks like the kind of program which, if safe, I
wouldn't mind have call out to a server.

Soluto installs on your system and then the first time you reboot, it
analyzes how long your system takes to start. It then calls home for
information about all the modules and programs which start up during
bootup and offers you advice about whether or not you really need that
program or module to start and run in the background.

The advice the program offers is based on user participation. In other
words, if you run across a module or program which doesn't have a
description, *you* can submit that information.

Of course, there is a TOS page:

http://www.soluto.com/PC/Support/Terms-of-Use/

The program uses "Get Satisfaction":

http://getsatisfaction.com/

which I'm not familiar with. I hope it's not adware.

Soluto's home page is here:

http://www.soluto.com/

--
John Corliss BS206. Because of all the Googlespam, I block all posts
sent through Google Groups. I also block as many posts from anonymous

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.
From: John Corliss on
Yrrah wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>
>> It then calls home for
>> information about all the modules and programs which start up during
>> bootup and offers you advice about whether or not you really need that
>> program or module to start and run in the background.
>
> I shudder at the thought...

Well, I do too frankly. However, if it's on the level then it might be
okay to run the thing once, look at and-or act on the recommendations,
and then remove it.

From: Jim S on
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 14:03:55 +0200, Yrrah wrote:

> John Corliss <q34wsk20(a)yahoo.com>:
>
>> It then calls home for
>> information about all the modules and programs which start up during
>> bootup and offers you advice about whether or not you really need that
>> program or module to start and run in the background.
>
> I shudder at the thought...
>
> Yrrah

Me too.
Sounds like the biggest gamble since..... ever.
Not like JC to be so bold.
Are we sure it was him?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
From: HTH on
John Corliss wrote:
>I know this program was discussed here briefly in late June, but I
>just read about it again. Looks like the kind of program which, if
>safe, I wouldn't mind have call out to a server.
>
>Soluto installs on your system and then the first time you reboot, it
>analyzes how long your system takes to start. It then calls home for
>information about all the modules and programs which start up during
>bootup and offers you advice about whether or not you really need that
>program or module to start and run in the background.

You probably won't be reading this because of your censorship habits,
but I'll post it anyway for others to read.

I'm not saying that Saluto is trash but I'd want to see some serious
results published before I let it loose on any system of mine.

Here's why:
It's not clear from the website if Soluto analyses 'applications'
or ALL modules that get loaded. In the case of the former it is not
difficult for anyone awake to manage themselves w/o Soluto. A simple
look at 'Autoruns' or Mike Lin's 'Startup CPL' will show what's being
loaded automatically at boot. In the case of the latter, it gets more
complicated. Windows loads many scores of modules at boot and many have
interdependent-relationships. Some are plain unnecessary and others are
dependent on what apps you start at boot or later on. Saluto would need
to be a very sophisticated program to analyse and manage such modules
without screwing things up. In theory, you could end up with a system
that won't boot.

FYI: my current system takes about 35-40secs to boot and that includes
XP-Pro-SP3 and about 15 essential apps.

YMMV :-)

HTH

From: John Corliss on
John Corliss wrote:
> I know this program was discussed here briefly in late June, but I just
> read about it again. Looks like the kind of program which, if safe, I
> wouldn't mind have call out to a server.
>
> Soluto installs on your system and then the first time you reboot, it
> analyzes how long your system takes to start. It then calls home for
> information about all the modules and programs which start up during
> bootup and offers you advice about whether or not you really need that
> program or module to start and run in the background.
>
> The advice the program offers is based on user participation. In other
> words, if you run across a module or program which doesn't have a
> description, *you* can submit that information.
>
> Of course, there is a TOS page:
>
> http://www.soluto.com/PC/Support/Terms-of-Use/
>
> The program uses "Get Satisfaction":
>
> http://getsatisfaction.com/
>
> which I'm not familiar with. I hope it's not adware.
>
> Soluto's home page is here:
>
> http://www.soluto.com/

Well, scratch that one. I tried to install the program and when I
expanded the installation window so that I could watch the progress, I
discovered that it was *installing MS dotnet* (which version, I have no
idea.)

I canceled the installation, used Total Uninstall to clean up the
residual mess, rebooted and them went back to a System Restore
checkpoint I'd set.

I just sent the authors an email letting them know what I thought of
this and recommending that they might want to consider listing dotnet as
one of the requirements for their program on the download page (where
the requirements are listed.)

Or am I missing something?

--
John Corliss BS206. Because of all the Googlespam, I block all posts
sent through Google Groups. I also block as many posts from anonymous
remailers (for example, usenet4all.se, x-privat.org, dizum.com,
tioat.net, frell.theremailer.net) as possible due to forgeries posted
through them.

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Freeware Audio
Next: Time for another firewall.