From: John Corliss on
Kerio 2.1.5 is far too long in the tooth. Besides, I'm no longer able to
remove .md5 entries from its list and don't feel like reinstalling the
program. Thus, I'm in the market for another firewall.

A couple of things to note before replying:

1. I don't care a bit whether or not you think software firewalls are
worth installing and using. *I* use and like two-way software firewalls.
You're not going to engage me in a debate about the merits or lack
thereof of using a two-way software firewall, so don't waste your time
trying.

2. If you want to enter into a debate (either starting a debate *or*
replying to one) about the merits or lack thereof of two-way software
firewalls, I'm going to ignore your replies to this thread. I might
label your reply as "Debate" though, so that others can ignore you too.

Now on to my post:

This website rates various firewalls, free and otherwise:

http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php#products-ratings

Not sure why they're an authority on the subject, but perhaps somebody
else knows another site which similarly rates software firewalls?

I was considering going for PC Tools Firewall Plus, but see that it's
down on the list and no longer recommended by the site.

Ashampoo's free firewall isn't listed there at all, unfortunately.

It would seem that, according to the test results at the site, my
options are either Comodo Internet Security or Online Armor Free.

If you use a software firewall, which one (any one) do you prefer and
why? Which one imposes the least load on system resources? Etc.

TIA.

--
John Corliss BS206. Because of all the Googlespam, I block all posts
sent through Google Groups. I also block as many posts from anonymous

No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.
From: baynole2 on
On Jul 30, 8:10 am, John Corliss <q34ws...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Kerio 2.1.5 is far too long in the tooth. Besides, I'm no longer able to
> remove .md5 entries from its list and don't feel like reinstalling the
> program. Thus, I'm in the market for another firewall.
>
> A couple of things to note before replying:
>
> 1. I don't care a bit whether or not you think software firewalls are
> worth installing and using. *I* use and like two-way software firewalls.
> You're not going to engage me in a debate about the merits or lack
> thereof of using a two-way software firewall, so don't waste your time
> trying.
>
> 2. If you want to enter into a debate (either starting a debate *or*
> replying to one) about the merits or lack thereof of two-way software
> firewalls, I'm going to ignore your replies to this thread. I might
> label your reply as "Debate" though, so that others can ignore you too.
>
> Now on to my post:
>
> This website rates various firewalls, free and otherwise:
>
> http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results...
>
> Not sure why they're an authority on the subject, but perhaps somebody
> else knows another site which similarly rates software firewalls?
>
> I was considering going for PC Tools Firewall Plus, but see that it's
> down on the list and no longer recommended by the site.
>
> Ashampoo's free firewall isn't listed there at all, unfortunately.
>
> It would seem that, according to the test results at the site, my
> options are either Comodo Internet Security or Online Armor Free.
>
> If you use a software firewall, which one (any one) do you prefer and
> why? Which one imposes the least load on system resources? Etc.
>
> TIA.
>
> --
> John Corliss BS206. Because of all the Googlespam, I block all posts
> sent through Google Groups. I also block as many posts from anonymous
> remailers (for example, usenet4all.se, x-privat.org, dizum.com,
> tioat.net, frell.theremailer.net) as possible due to forgeries posted
> through them.
>
> No ad, CD, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
> trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.

I am no software whiz but I use Comodo; takes a little training but
then is OK. You do not have to install the entire Comodo suite, you
can just do the FW.
From: Stephen Wolstenholme on
I use the Windows firewall to block all incoming connections.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
From: John Corliss on
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
> I use the Windows firewall to block all incoming connections.

I'm looking for a freeware, third party, two-way software firewall though.

From: John Corliss on
baynole2(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:
>> Kerio 2.1.5 is far too long in the tooth. Besides, I'm no longer able to
>> remove .md5 entries from its list and don't feel like reinstalling the
>> program. Thus, I'm in the market for another firewall.
>> (snip)
>
> I am no software whiz but I use Comodo; takes a little training but
> then is OK. You do not have to install the entire Comodo suite, you
> can just do the FW.

Thanks for your reply. I used it for a short while once on this
computer. Can't remember why I took it off. It seemed to work well
though. There has been some controversy regarding the company itself
which has been talked about in this newsgroup. A lot of the controversy
was regarding bundling IIRC.