From: dapatoumba on
Solved!! .Net Framework 3.5 Error in WinXP

the solution is just install this hotfix (its actually a hotfix for .msi
installer - but it solves the problem anyhow !!!) --->
WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe <--- Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable
which can be found here :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer

i was experiencing the same trouble trying to update my Windows Xp Pro SP3
(this works for SP2 also as far as i know) which gave me all kinds of errors
and didnt allow to install " Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 " or the "
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 SP1 " or even the " Microsoft .NET Framework
2.0 "

*I am Not* a super programmer and i have read about some
dotnetfx.cleanup.tool.zip - no need for it !!!!!

the solution is just install this hotfix (its actually a hotfix for .msi
installer - but it solves the problem anyhow !!!) --->
WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe <--- Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable
which can be found here :
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=5A58B56F-60B6-4412-95B9-54D056D6F9F4&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer

after installing this official fix restart your system and then install your
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 !!!!

*i had managed to install up to .NET Framework 2.0 SP1 so prior to updating
to .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 just after installing the hotfix i first installed
the NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86 (.NET Framework 2.0 SP2 hotfix)*

From: MowGreen on
Glad to hear that installing the latest *version* of the Windows
Installer resolved the .NET updating issue but ... this is *not* a
hotfix. Apparently the Windows Installer on your system was not
functioning properly and updating to the latest Version resolved the issue.

However, installing the latest Version of the WI will *not* resolve the
vast majority of .NET Framework update installation issues.
Following this guide will provide an answer for most of said .NET
Framework update installation issues -

Unified .NET Framework Troubleshooting Guide
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/articles/454956.aspx

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"