From: Rune Allnor on
On 18 Jan, 22:58, Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 15:51:21 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:
> > Tim Wescott wrote:

> >> It sounds like a _homework problem_ about aliasing.  One I might write
> >> were I teaching a signal processing course, I might add.
>
> > Got it. I would have worded it differently, though.
>
> I would have worded it differently, too.  A set of homework problems that
> doesn't contain at least one veiled reference to Bart Simpson, Batman,
> Diogenes, Gilligan, or some other major philosopher is a minor failure,
> IMHO.

Like Andor, I'd be very interested to se the OP's problem restated
to such a context...?

Rune
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 1/19/2010 3:23 AM, Rune Allnor wrote:
> On 18 Jan, 22:58, Tim Wescott<t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:

>>> Got it. I would have worded it differently, though.
>> I would have worded it differently, too. A set of homework problems that
>> doesn't contain at least one veiled reference to Bart Simpson, Batman,
>> Diogenes, Gilligan, or some other major philosopher is a minor failure,
>> IMHO.
>
> Like Andor, I'd be very interested to se the OP's problem restated
> to such a context...?
>
> Rune

I'm wondering how many students these days know who Gilligan was.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Dirk Bell on
On Jan 19, 10:36 am, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On 1/19/2010 3:23 AM, Rune Allnor wrote:

> >> I would have worded it differently, too.  A set of homework problems that
> >> doesn't contain at least one veiled reference to Bart Simpson, Batman,
> >> Diogenes, Gilligan, or some other major philosopher is a minor failure,
> >> IMHO.
>
> > Like Andor, I'd be very interested to se the OP's problem restated
> > to such a context...?
>
> > Rune
>
> I'm wondering how many students these days know who Gilligan was.
>
> --
> Eric Jacobsen
> Minister of Algorithms
> Abineau Communicationshttp://www.abineau.com- Hide quoted text -

Didn't he play Dobie Gillis? :-)

Dirk
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 1/19/2010 9:08 AM, Dirk Bell wrote:
> On Jan 19, 10:36 am, Eric Jacobsen<eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:

>>> Like Andor, I'd be very interested to se the OP's problem restated
>>> to such a context...?
>>> Rune
>> I'm wondering how many students these days know who Gilligan was.
>>
>> --
>> Eric Jacobsen
>> Minister of Algorithms
>> Abineau Communicationshttp://www.abineau.com- Hide quoted text -

> Didn't he play Dobie Gillis? :-)
>
> Dirk

Dang, that goes way back!

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Clay on
On Jan 19, 11:19 am, Eric Jacobsen <eric.jacob...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
> On 1/19/2010 9:08 AM, Dirk Bell wrote:

> >> I'm wondering how many students these days know who Gilligan was.
>
> >> --
> >> Eric Jacobsen
> >> Minister of Algorithms
> >> Abineau Communicationshttp://www.abineau.com-Hide quoted text -