From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 1/21/2010 8:14 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:55:54 -0800, Andor wrote:

>>> I've got it:
>>>
>>> Gilligan has sprung a net trap set by natives from the next island
>>> over; the trap is hung from a tall tree branch, and Gilligan is
>>> swinging over a small clearing with a period of oscillation of 5
>>> seconds (0.2Hz).
>>>
>>> The Skipper has also been captured and blindfolded and is being held
>>> nearby. Every two seconds exactly he manages to pull off the blindfold
>>> and see Gilligan, but his captors immediately replace the blindfold
>>> each time.
>>>
>>> What is the _closest_ (but not identical) period of oscillation at
>>> which Gilligan could be swinging such that the Skipper would see
>>> exactly the same period of oscillation given how often he pulls off his
>>> blindfold?
>>>
>>> For extra credit:
>>>
>>> The Skipper escapes, and runs to the Professor to explain Gilligan's
>>> dilemma (including the timing, of course). The Professor (having taken
>>> signal processing courses along with everything else), knows that there
>>> are two likely periods to the swing, and thus knows the two possible
>>> lengths of the rope from which Gilligan is suspended (he ignores the
>>> mass of the rope and assumes the tree is infinitely rigid).
>>>
>>> Assuming that the professor gets his math right, how long are his two
>>> calculated rope lengths?
>> :-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't know Gilligan. Wikipedia has an article about a
>> sitcom called Gilligan's Island, which I guess you are refering to.
>> Sounds like an older version of "Lost" ...
>
> Well, perhaps if you take all the 'spooky wierd' parts of "Lost" and
> replace them with 'goofy funny'.
>
> "Gilligan's Island" was basic slapstick comedy, set up by the idea that
> you had seven random US citizens shipwrecked on a Pacific island, driven
> forward by the fact that the characters that considered themselves in
> charge and competent weren't, and leavened by the presence of Gilligan,
> who was a classic clown.

It remains as a big part of Americana culture (at least for a few
generations for which it was relevant) because of several
characteristics that made it quite memorable. One was the assembly of
characters who represented a pretty broad spectrum of society, and their
interaction with each other in "surviving" on the island in their own ways.

An example was the Howell's, a wealthy, high-society couple who happened
to bring large trunks of clothing and supplies with them, despite the
premise of the show that it was only "a three hour tour". Who brings
luggage for a three-hour tour? It's that level of silliness that
defines the whole adventure.

The professor provided the detailed technical knowledge (about ANYTHING)
to help them make inventions to survive without much change in overall
lifestyle.

Then there was Ginger and Mary Ann, two young, highly attractive women
who provided all sorts of nice plot possibilities, not to mention eye
candy. For decades a common cultural question here is "Ginger or Mary
Ann?", and the respondent is expected to explain which they preferred
and why.

For the most part, though, it was the typical network easy laugh comedy
of the day (Beverly Hillbillies was another), that was just cheap
entertainment. When compression algorithms started getting pretty good
about twenty-five years ago there was a discussion about the general
theory that the relationship of real information content to total
entropy could be used to yield pretty high compression ratios. A joke
example was that it was estimated that all of the Gilligan's Island
episodes together could be compressed down to a single 8kx8 ROM.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Eric Jacobsen on

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Jerry Avins <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote:
(snip)

> Nitpick: acetylsalicylic acid. I remember an ad for an "Amazing New
> Analgesic Discovery!": sodium acetylsalicylate. The FTC had the ad pulled.

For some reason, I remember it every time except when writing
that post.

-- glen
From: dvsarwate on
On Jan 21, 10:06 am, Jerry Avins <j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:

> Nitpick: acetylsalicylic acid. I remember an ad for an "Amazing New
> Analgesic Discovery!": sodium acetylsalicylate. The FTC had the ad pulled..

Perhaps the FTC acted in response to complaints from the makers of
Preparation H? Oh, really? That's *not* what analgesic means? :-)
From: Richard Owlett on
Eric Jacobsen wrote:
> On 1/21/2010 8:14 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:

>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I don't know Gilligan. Wikipedia has an article about a
>>> sitcom called Gilligan's Island, which I guess you are refering to.
>>> Sounds like an older version of "Lost" ...
>>
>> Well, perhaps if you take all the 'spooky wierd' parts of "Lost" and
>> replace them with 'goofy funny'.
>>
>> "Gilligan's Island" was basic slapstick comedy, set up by the idea that
>> you had seven random US citizens shipwrecked on a Pacific island, driven
>> forward by the fact that the characters that considered themselves in
>> charge and competent weren't, and leavened by the presence of Gilligan,
>> who was a classic clown.
>
> It remains as a big part of Americana culture (at least for a few
> generations for which it was relevant) because of several
> characteristics that made it quite memorable. One was the assembly of
> characters who represented a pretty broad spectrum of society, and their
> interaction with each other in "surviving" on the island in their own ways.
>
> An example was the Howell's, a wealthy, high-society couple who happened
> to bring large trunks of clothing and supplies with them, despite the
> premise of the show that it was only "a three hour tour". Who brings
> luggage for a three-hour tour? It's that level of silliness that
> defines the whole adventure.
>
> The professor provided the detailed technical knowledge (about ANYTHING)
> to help them make inventions to survive without much change in overall
> lifestyle.
>
> Then there was Ginger and Mary Ann, two young, highly attractive women
> who provided all sorts of nice plot possibilities, not to mention eye
> candy. For decades a common cultural question here is "Ginger or Mary
> Ann?", and the respondent is expected to explain which they preferred
> and why.
>
> For the most part, though, it was the typical network easy laugh comedy
> of the day (Beverly Hillbillies was another),

A valid comparison?????
I could see "Beverly Hillbillies" as social commentary a la
Jonathan Swift. (eg Jed's and Grandma's comments)