From: JSH on
I've noted a fundamental result in modular arithmetic around studying
the simple system of equations:

f_1 = a_1*k mod N thru f_m = a_m*k mod N

Specifically by noting that multiplying them together gives:

f_1*...*f_m = a_1*...*a_m*k^m mod N, but ADDING them together gives:

f_1+...+f_m = (a_1 + ...+ a_m)k mod N

Note that the a's are what I call control variables, which can be set
to ANY non-zero value.

Remarkably enough that simple result allows one to handle k^m = q mod
N through integer factorization.

You can solve for k, when m, q and N are known, or for m, when k, q
and N are known, and it is the latter I'll consider in more detail in
this post.

Since the a's are control variables their value can be set to some
extent, with m degrees of freedom. To handle discrete logarithms
entirely, over any m, I need to remove less than m of those degrees of
freedom and do so with the following equations:

a_1*...*a_m = q mod N

and

a_1+...+a_m = m mod N

Then k^m = q mod N, and f_1*...*f_m = a_1*...*a_m*k^m mod N, with
substitutions gives me:

f_1*...*f_m = q^2 mod N

and f_1+...+f_m = (a_1 + ...+ a_m)k mod N with substitution gives:

f_1+...+f_m = mk mod N

But so far I've removed only 2 degrees of freedom from the a's, so
assume that for some unknown number m-c of the f's that the a's are
simply the modular inverse of k, then for that number the f's simply
equal 1, giving me:

f_1+...+f_c + m - c = mk mod N

Which allows me to solve for m, with:

m = (k-1)^{-1}(f_1+...+f_c - c) mod N

(If k-1 is not coprime to N, then factors in common would be divided
off before the modular inverse operation, which actually gives another
check for finding useable factors.)

Notice that finding factors then becomes just a matter of considering
solutions:

f_1*...*f_m = q^2 mod N

where m-c of the factors have been set to 1.

So the reasons for that substitution is clear.

Notice that c is found dynamically from the count of non-unit factors
of q^2 mod N.

Here's an example, solve for m, where:

2^m = 13 mod 23

so k = 2, and f_1*...*f_m = q^2 mod N = 13^2 mod 23 = 8 mod 23.

And I found a solution with f_1*...*f_m = 54, and

f_1 = 2, f_2 = 3, f_3 = 3, f_4 = 3

so c=4, and

m = (k-1)^{-1}(f_1 +...+ f_c - c) mod N = 2+3+3+3 - 4 = 7

And 2^7 = 128 = 13 mod 23.

Notice that the method then gives you the number c from factoring
numbers q^2 mod N. The means mathematically that c of the a's have
been set by the algebra itself to cancel out k, with the modular
inverse, which is how this approach eliminates the advantage of a
large m--the math simply handles it for you.

And that is the basic research showing how a simple set of modular
equations can lead to an approach to solving discrete logarithms
through integer factorization. It is not clear at this time how
practical it can be made to be.

However, I would assume that it is a method that cannot simply be
ignored as the idiot mutterings of some "crackpot".

But if any of you do, I hope you pay the appropriate consequences if
it turns out to be important. Paying as high a price as your world
requires of you. No matter what the price might be.

James Harris

From: Pubkeybreaker on
On Jun 29, 6:37 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> But if any of you do, I hope you pay the appropriate consequences if
> it turns out to be important.  Paying as high a price as your world
> requires of you.  No matter what the price might be.
>
> James Harris

When are you going to tell us the year when you got your claimed
degree at Vanderbilt???

You can also tell us why Vanderbilt will not confirm that you ever
got a
degree there.

Doing so would put to rest the suspicions of many people who suspect
that you are lying when you claim to have a degree in physics.

From: JSH on
On Jun 30, 5:11 am, Noob <r...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> [ Reposted verbatim to sci.math ]
<deleted>

Yeah, if I try to post only to sci.crypt then sci.math regulars will
follow over. They will often fill up a thread with insults and do it
FAST.

However, I'm also MORE likely to get replies on sci.math than on
sci.crypt, and I'd like feedback, so the simple solution was to post
the same thing on both newsgroups. The sci.math regulars who like to
stalk my postings can post happily there and not feel a need to post
here.

Working well so far. Otherwise your cross-posting attempt would have
been filled with replies.

No need to cross post! I'm running discussions on this same topic on
two newsgroups but without cross posting.

James Harris