From: RichA on
Sony NEX; The camera is probably at the limits of smallness for an
interchangeable lens camera. It's a little hard handling it without
accidentally hitting buttons. The plastic body is slightly more
comfortable to hold because it is larger and the angles on the hand
grip are less severe. The image quality of the camera is decent,
probably a bit better than my D300 Nikon for noise control. Image
quality owing to the extreme portability, proximity of the lenses to
the sensor may not be at the level of the average DSLR. The LCD is
very thin, no cheap, thick plastic surround to bulk it up. The LCD is
bright enough for daylight. However, I have a suggestion I'll post at
the end of the paragraphs.
Samsung NX10. Nice and thin, but not as small as the Sonys. The grip
is reasonably comfortable (but not terrifically so, for that you need
a full-sized DSLR) and the camera with its lenses is lightweight.
Image quality is very good from all the lenses I tried, as good as any
APS DSLR. Shutter slap is noticeable, but not bad.
Pentax 645. What a beautiful camera! Great weather-sealed body, very
ergonomic, better balanced than any DSLR (you can comfortably hold it
by the grip alone, it's that well-balanced) and not as heavy as I
thought it might be. Focusing with the "kit" lens is not lightning
fast, I'd say about the same as the mirror-less cameras I tested.
Can't judge image quality, it was pre-production and I couldn't sample
from it. One amazing thing is mirror-slap is practically non-
existent. Just like with the small K7 DSLR. The LCD is probably has
the best-looking image from LCD's I've seen, though not as high in
resolution as Nikon's DSLR LCD. IMO, this camera coupled with Nikon's
D3s would be a better choice for a pricey kit than the D3s and D3x,
especially given the resolution advantage.
From: Bruce on
On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:44:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Pentax 645. What a beautiful camera! Great weather-sealed body, very
>ergonomic, better balanced than any DSLR

But it *is* a DSLR, Rich.

From: RichA on
On May 15, 4:37 pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2010 12:44:01 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Pentax 645.  What a beautiful camera!  Great weather-sealed body, very
> >ergonomic, better balanced than any DSLR
>
> But it *is* a DSLR, Rich.

Sorry, mean sub-medium format DSLR.
From: ransley on
On May 15, 2:44 pm, RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Sony NEX;  The camera is probably at the limits of smallness for an
> interchangeable lens camera.  It's a little hard handling it without
> accidentally hitting buttons.  The plastic body is slightly more
> comfortable to hold because it is larger and the angles on the hand
> grip are less severe.  The image quality of the camera is decent,
> probably a bit better than my D300 Nikon for noise control.  Image
> quality owing to the extreme portability, proximity of the lenses to
> the sensor may not be at the level of the average DSLR.   The LCD is
> very thin, no cheap, thick plastic surround to bulk it up.  The LCD is
> bright enough for daylight.  However, I have a suggestion I'll post at
> the end of the paragraphs.
> Samsung NX10.  Nice and thin, but not as small as the Sonys.  The grip
> is reasonably comfortable (but not terrifically so, for that you need
> a full-sized DSLR) and the camera with its lenses is lightweight.
> Image quality is very good from all the lenses I tried, as good as any
> APS DSLR.  Shutter slap is noticeable, but not bad.
> Pentax 645.  What a beautiful camera!  Great weather-sealed body, very
> ergonomic, better balanced than any DSLR (you can comfortably hold it
> by the grip alone, it's that well-balanced) and not as heavy as I
> thought it might be.  Focusing with the "kit" lens is not lightning
> fast,  I'd say about the same as the mirror-less cameras I tested.
> Can't judge image quality, it was pre-production and I couldn't sample
> from it.  One amazing thing is mirror-slap is practically non-
> existent.  Just like with the small K7 DSLR.  The LCD is probably has
> the best-looking image from LCD's I've seen, though not as high in
> resolution as Nikon's DSLR LCD.  IMO, this camera coupled with Nikon's
> D3s would be a better choice for a pricey kit than the D3s and D3x,
> especially given the resolution advantage.

I read the sony has a magnesium body not plastic.
From: Bruce on
On Sun, 16 May 2010 07:12:18 -0700 (PDT), ransley
<Mark_Ransley(a)Yahoo.com> wrote:

>I read the sony has a magnesium body not plastic.

NEX-3 body is polycarbonate, NEX-5 is magnesium alloy.