From: joel garry on
On Oct 22, 10:22 am, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Eric von Horst wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I need some general advise on tuning.
>
> Why?
>
> There's absolutely nothing in your post that leads to
> anything to be said (apart from the obvious: state your version
> including 5th decimal, start looking where anything might be wrong).
>
> You're not suffering from ODCTD, are you?
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

I'm with Ian - 4GB with db_block_buffers=2000? Red flag, not
obsessiveness. In general, reviewing things that obviously haven't
been tuned is not obsessive. Periodically reveiwing isn't obsessive.
Trying to get the last little bit of SGA filled, that's obsessive.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
"CLARIFICATION: EVACUEES ARE DIRECTED TO QUALCOMM STADIUM NOT QUALCOMM

From: Frank van Bortel on
joel garry wrote:
> I'm with Ian - 4GB with db_block_buffers=2000? Red flag, not
> obsessiveness. In general, reviewing things that obviously haven't
> been tuned is not obsessive. Periodically reveiwing isn't obsessive.

No, I agree on that - but there is no indication
in the original post as to why:
* No user complaints
* No mention of reports all of a sudden taking 10 times longer,
* nor any screens,
* nor any other query

And why would db_block_buffers = 2000, in combination
with 4GB memory on the machine raise a flag?

Lots of assumptions here...

From: joel garry on
On Oct 23, 12:37 pm, Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bor...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
> > I'm with Ian - 4GB with db_block_buffers=2000? Red flag, not
> > obsessiveness. In general, reviewing things that obviously haven't
> > been tuned is not obsessive. Periodically reveiwing isn't obsessive.
>
> No, I agree on that - but there is no indication
> in the original post as to why:
> * No user complaints
> * No mention of reports all of a sudden taking 10 times longer,
> * nor any screens,
> * nor any other query
>
> And why would db_block_buffers = 2000, in combination
> with 4GB memory on the machine raise a flag?
>
> Lots of assumptions here...
> --
> Regards,
> Frank van Bortel
>
> Top-posting is one way to shut me up...

Maybe I'm unimaginative, but I can't even imagine an SGA that small in
any modern production system. In general, I think any performance
methodology that doesn't take into account looking to see that
everything is configured in the ballpark is limited. I'm pretty sure
I've heard Cary Milsap say something to the effect his methodology is
based on his people's experience, which is that they are only called
in when all the easy and obvious things are fixed.

So grab the low-hanging fruit first!

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
Check gas gauge before assuming there is nothing wrong.

From: joel garry on

From: Frank van Bortel on
joel garry wrote:

> Maybe I'm unimaginative, but I can't even imagine an SGA that small in
> any modern production system.

It is not the SGA - there's 4GB on the machine.