From: Metspitzer on
Sometimes I can boot my computer and it boots fine. Other times, when
I boot, the screen will show the Windows splash screen, and then it
gets a checker board pattern and reboots.

I can press the reset button and it reboots. I get the display that
Windows did not shutdown properly. I picked Safe mode and it booted
fine. I can then reboot and it also boots fine.

I can also just select "start normally" and it will boot fine.

Anyone know what this could be? I can run the computer for hours with
no problem. This only happens at startup. One side note is that when
I shut the computer down I also turn off a power strip that powers the
computer, speakers and monitor.
From: Flasherly on
On May 24, 6:20 pm, Metspitzer <kilow...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> Sometimes I can boot my computer and it boots fine. Other times, when
> I boot, the screen will show the Windows splash screen, and then it
> gets a checker board pattern and reboots.
>
> I can press the reset button and it reboots. I get the display that
> Windows did not shutdown properly. I picked Safe mode and it booted
> fine. I can then reboot and it also boots fine.
>
> I can also just select "start normally" and it will boot fine.
>
> Anyone know what this could be? I can run the computer for hours with
> no problem. This only happens at startup. One side note is that when
> I shut the computer down I also turn off a power strip that powers the
> computer, speakers and monitor.

Something along Xteq Systems X-Setup if it will disable a boot prior
warning condition. Probably a software driver conflict. When it
crashed look in the startup log for the last thing being loaded.
Surest way is a clean install and no problems -- then you know
software got corrupted. If not, then there's potentially hardware
issues involved.

I keep three binary OS backups for things such as that. A problem
software install, though not usually, that can turn into a future
dud. Slim chance the two older backups are going to show up by then
as affected from prior software installs at the time they were created.
From: SteveH on
Metspitzer wrote:
> Sometimes I can boot my computer and it boots fine. Other times, when
> I boot, the screen will show the Windows splash screen, and then it
> gets a checker board pattern and reboots.
>
> I can press the reset button and it reboots. I get the display that
> Windows did not shutdown properly. I picked Safe mode and it booted
> fine. I can then reboot and it also boots fine.
>
> I can also just select "start normally" and it will boot fine.
>
> Anyone know what this could be? I can run the computer for hours with
> no problem. This only happens at startup. One side note is that when
> I shut the computer down I also turn off a power strip that powers the
> computer, speakers and monitor.

Download and install a new display driver for it and see if that makes any
difference.

--
SteveH

From: SteveH on
Flasherly wrote:
> On May 24, 6:20 pm, Metspitzer <kilow...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> Sometimes I can boot my computer and it boots fine. Other times,
>> when I boot, the screen will show the Windows splash screen, and
>> then it gets a checker board pattern and reboots.
>>
>> I can press the reset button and it reboots. I get the display that
>> Windows did not shutdown properly. I picked Safe mode and it booted
>> fine. I can then reboot and it also boots fine.
>>
>> I can also just select "start normally" and it will boot fine.
>>
>> Anyone know what this could be? I can run the computer for hours
>> with no problem. This only happens at startup. One side note is
>> that when I shut the computer down I also turn off a power strip
>> that powers the computer, speakers and monitor.
>
> Something along Xteq Systems X-Setup if it will disable a boot prior
> warning condition. Probably a software driver conflict. When it
> crashed look in the startup log for the last thing being loaded.
> Surest way is a clean install and no problems -- then you know
> software got corrupted. If not, then there's potentially hardware
> issues involved.

A clean install to fix what is almost certainly either a video driver issue
or a video card with problems - you having a laugh?

--
SteveH