From: John Braner on
Glennbo wrote:
> In news:hhnse6$e5v$1(a)appyface.eternal-september.org the killer robot
> "Sue Morton" <867-5309(a)domain.invalid> grabbed the controls of the
> spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> Makes a great case for taking an OS image before installing anything
>> Sonar
>> :-)
>

> Yep. What a BIG extra step. You'd think they'd have figgered out how to
> deliver updates that aren't dependent on other updates by now.

>>> And if the new patch breaks something important, simply uninstall
>>> everything, delete ten registry keys, install version x.00, follow it
>>> with the x.01 update, then the x.02 update, and finally the x.03
>>> update to get back where you were before installing the newest
>>> update. ;)

Just for the record - I *did say
"I just went through this last week. I just installed the 8.5, then 8.5.2 and it's fine." ;-)

That means I went straight from the "base" 8.5 to the 8.5.2 patch and skipped 8.5.1.

Carry on....

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: John Braner on
Glennbo wrote:
> In news:hhpsl8$am4$1(a)news.eternal-september.org the killer robot John
> Braner <me(a)myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
> cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
>
>> I went straight from the "base" 8.5 to the 8.5.2 patch and skipped 8.5.1.
>
> Sounds like you purchased the actual 8.5 media, so you could start there.
> If you had downloaded 8.5 as an update to 8.0, that wouldn't be the case.

No - I downloaded, and that's definitely how it worked. I don't have 8.5.1 ;-)
You *do* have to have 8 installed though - so I guess you could count that as another "preliminary"
step...

--
===========

From: Sue Morton on
Yep that's what G'Bo was getting at -- for a complete reinstall (remember
the format C: as NTFS and reinstall windows you're supposed to do? LOL) you
will have to install 8.0, then 8.5, then 8.5.2. Nice that they let you skip
8.5.1!
--
Sue Morton

From: John Braner on
Sue Morton wrote:
> Yep that's what G'Bo was getting at -- for a complete reinstall (remember
> the format C: as NTFS and reinstall windows you're supposed to do? LOL) you
> will have to install 8.0, then 8.5, then 8.5.2. Nice that they let you skip
> 8.5.1!

I guess it is pretty lame that 8.5 can't install on it's own - but the theory is that they didn't
include all the additional content - so it would be a reasoable (2GB!) download size.

And you don't *have* to do the NTFS format - that's optional ;-)

--
===========

From: John Braner on
Sue Morton wrote:
> Yep that's what G'Bo was getting at -- for a complete reinstall (remember
> the format C: as NTFS and reinstall windows you're supposed to do? LOL) you
> will have to install 8.0, then 8.5, then 8.5.2. Nice that they let you skip
> 8.5.1!

PS - I'm having *real* adventure now playing with memory timings for 4 x 2GB memory sticks and
setting up Windows 7 to "tri boot" with XP (general purpose) and XP (music). It's all set up now I'm
seeing what works with 64 bit and what doesn't...

--
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner