From: Raymond J. Johnson Jr. on

"Roln" <roln(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
| Two questions regarding this burner:
|
| 1. Who makes it?
|
| 2. What is Sony's model number for the complete kit?
|
| Roln

I don't know the answer to your first question. When you say "complete kit"
I assume you mean the retail version? There might not be a directly
analogous retail version. The reason you can't find anything on Sony's site
is that it's an OEM drive, and Sony (as well as most others) will support
only retail purchases. This means, among other things, that if there is a
retail version of the same drive, and Sony updates the firmware, you'll be
SOL because the firmware update will not work on the OEM version.

From: Roln on

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:

> I don't know the answer to your first question. When you say "complete
> kit"
> I assume you mean the retail version? There might not be a directly
> analogous retail version. The reason you can't find anything on Sony's
> site
> is that it's an OEM drive, and Sony (as well as most others) will support
> only retail purchases. This means, among other things, that if there is a
> retail version of the same drive, and Sony updates the firmware, you'll be
> SOL because the firmware update will not work on the OEM version.

Ray,
This is getting to be a mess! Next time a friend suggests I get an OEM
version
instead of the retail version, I will argue with him.
About a week before I bought the burner, I read on a newsgroup that the Sony
Model 710 was the same drive. As luck would have it, my hard drive crapped
out about a week ago and I lost everything. I just finished putting
together a
system with a new Motherboard and SATA drive. I haven't had a chance to use
the new Sony burner, except for playback.
There is a lot of Nero software floating around that came with several
brands of
burners. I'm sure I'll find something that will work on my Sony drive.
I'm aware Nero 6 is a good program, but it's too much for the average user.
Roln

From: Newtechie on
Hi Roln,

I just built my own system too and bought this same drive without knowing it was OEM.
So far, I have not had any problems out of it. It writes to a DVD just fine. My drive came with an OEM Nero disc (Nero Express) which is fine for my needs. You have the option to install INCD that is included on the disc which will suit your needs for the things you want to do and of course you have the choice to make a data disc within Nero Express. If you're not thrilled about Nero, you could
try this free program called Deepburner or search for other freeware at www.download.com.

HTH,
Newtechie

From: Roln on
Newtechie,

Thanks for the info.

I went to Best Buy two hours ago and looked at the Sony 710 drive and it comes with the software I need. Like you said,
it's Nero Express 6SE, which comes with most of the DVD burners you buy retail. I need to find someone that has bought
one of these drives and get a copy of the software.
You say you can drag & drop files to the burner icon, the same way you can do with a CD burner?? That's what I want.
As for movie making, I use Windows Movie Maker and save the files for burning to a DVD.
What components did you install in your new system? I used an ASUS board this time, my first and a SATA hard drive, also my first.
Roln

From: Newtechie on
Roln,

I think most DVD burners come with the Nero Express software or NTI CD & DVD Maker. I'm trying to figure out what program are you looking to get? Was Nero the program you saw at Best Buy bundled with the Sony 710?

Yes - InCD will allow to drag and drop files to the icon. It's automatically launched when you boot up Windows and it sits in the system tray. Just an FYI - when I installed my Nero, I was able to update to Ultra Edition free through the www.nero.com site.

As for my newly built system, I went with a Gigabyte motherboard, 250gb Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 hard drive, 512mb PC3200 DDR ram, Intel 3.0ghz CPU, Lite-On DVD-rom drive (1st) and Sony DW-22A burner (2nd), and floppy. My O/S is WinXP Prof. I use Nero, CloneDVD 2, and DVD Shrink for my burning, backup, and copying needs. I also bought a new black Thermaltake case which looks very nice.

Newtechie

"Newtechie" wrote:
Hi Roln,

I just built my own system too and bought this same drive without knowing it was OEM.
So far, I have not had any problems out of it. It writes to a DVD just fine. My drive came with an OEM Nero disc (Nero Express) which is fine for my needs. You have the option to install INCD that is included on the disc which will suit your needs for the things you want to do and of course you have the choice to make a data disc within Nero Express. If you're not thrilled about Nero, you could
try this free program called Deepburner or search for other freeware at www.download.com.

HTH,
Newtechie

"Roln" <roln(a)nospam.com> wrote in message news:su7Pd.33000$C24.7609(a)attbi_s52...

> "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:
> >
> > I don't know the answer to your first question. When you say "complete
> > kit"
> > I assume you mean the retail version? There might not be a directly
> > analogous retail version. The reason you can't find anything on Sony's
> > site
> > is that it's an OEM drive, and Sony (as well as most others) will support
> > only retail purchases. This means, among other things, that if there is a
> > retail version of the same drive, and Sony updates the firmware, you'll be
> > SOL because the firmware update will not work on the OEM version.
> >

> Ray,
> This is getting to be a mess! Next time a friend suggests I get an OEM
> version
> instead of the retail version, I will argue with him.
> About a week before I bought the burner, I read on a newsgroup that the Sony
> Model 710 was the same drive. As luck would have it, my hard drive crapped
> out about a week ago and I lost everything. I just finished putting
> together a
> system with a new Motherboard and SATA drive. I haven't had a chance to use
> the new Sony burner, except for playback.
> There is a lot of Nero software floating around that came with several
> brands of
> burners. I'm sure I'll find something that will work on my Sony drive.
> I'm aware Nero 6 is a good program, but it's too much for the average user.
> Roln

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Next: webcam driver for VIMICRO inside