From: bushwood on
Can you assign groups of columns to move together when sorting horizontally?
I have 11 groups of columns each group with an amount column, ideally we have
the list sorted from left to right descending dollar amounts for the amount
column from each column group. Any ideas are much appreciated.
--
"Gambling is illegal @ Bushwood and I never slice."
From: Dave Peterson on
If the data would fit into a single row (256 in xl2003 and below) or 16k in
xl2007, then I'd:

Move the data to a separate worksheet -- one row per logical record

Sort this data

and then rearrange the data into the "report" version -- multiple rows per
logical record.

In fact, I'd do my best to keep my raw data (for updates) in that format and
generate the reports off that flat file.

=======
But another way that may work for you.
Insert a couple more columns (I'd use new columns A and B)
Add a unique record indicator in column A of each group of rows.
Add a sequence number in column B within that group of rows.

Sort your data using the way you want and then sort it once more using the first
two columns.

bushwood wrote:

> Can you assign groups of columns to move together when sorting horizontally?
> I have 11 groups of columns each group with an amount column, ideally we have
> the list sorted from left to right descending dollar amounts for the amount
> column from each column group. Any ideas are much appreciated.
> --
> "Gambling is illegal @ Bushwood and I never slice."

--

Dave Peterson