From: NicoleS on
I'm using Excel 2007.

Is it possible to sort a column by the number of characters on the line?
I track part numbers - which vary in length and can include letters and
hyphens.

Using just sort (smallest to largest) sorts by the beginning numbers.

Being able to do a sort like this could cut down the time it takes me to do
the next step in my tracking.

Thanks!
Nicole
From: Fred Smith on
Just add a column with the formula:
=len(a1)
then sort on that.

Regards,
Fred

"NicoleS" <NicoleS(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using Excel 2007.
>
> Is it possible to sort a column by the number of characters on the line?
> I track part numbers - which vary in length and can include letters and
> hyphens.
>
> Using just sort (smallest to largest) sorts by the beginning numbers.
>
> Being able to do a sort like this could cut down the time it takes me to
> do
> the next step in my tracking.
>
> Thanks!
> Nicole