From: Topgun505 on
I am making a utility to share with a group of friends. I am trying to lock
it down and idiot-proof it so it cannot be edited or corrupted. I see in the
Worksheet Protection list there are options for users to be permitted to Auto
Filter and to Sort. If I protect the sheet the Auto Filter still works fine
but the Sort does not. Is this a known bug? Why have Sort as an option in
the list if it doesn't work??
From: Luke M on
It is not a bug. When you sort the data, you are changing the values of each
individual cell (just moving it somewhere else). Thus, the cells that you
want sorted would need to be unprotected. If you do not allow sorting when
you protect the sheet, you would not be allowed to sort the unprotected data.

If you are needing to lock something down that well, I would recommend
making it read-only (with a password required?). In the battle between
programmers trying to foolproof things, and the universe making a better
idiot, the universe usually wins.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Topgun505" wrote:

> I am making a utility to share with a group of friends. I am trying to lock
> it down and idiot-proof it so it cannot be edited or corrupted. I see in the
> Worksheet Protection list there are options for users to be permitted to Auto
> Filter and to Sort. If I protect the sheet the Auto Filter still works fine
> but the Sort does not. Is this a known bug? Why have Sort as an option in
> the list if it doesn't work??

Pages: 1
Prev: How to add to a macro
Next: Surface Chart Legend