From: thricipio on
So… I've been trying to do something on XP Pro, that I know I've done before
with no great difficulty on XP Home: that is, change a couple of the sound
scheme settings — specifically, the "Windows Logoff" and "Windows Logon"
settings.

On XP Home, I recall having to go into the "Sounds and Audio Devices
Properties" dialogue and selecting the desired item (e.g., Windows Logoff)
and then using the [Browse] button to find the desired .wav file. I can do
that, and I can check that I have the correct .wav file by clicking the [>]
button. So far, so good… But when I actually Logoff/on, I don't get the
newly selected .wav files.

I've even renamed the desired .wav files to "Windows Logoff(/on)" and placed
them in the default directory {‹root_drive›\Windows\Media} and tested them
with the [>] button. And that works (as one would expect)… But again, when
I logoff and logon, I still get the default Win logoff/on .wav file sounds.

Obviously, I'm missing something basic here… just can't figure out what that
is. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.

Color me stymied,
—Thri
From: thricipio on
Yes.

From: Elmo on
thricipio wrote:
> So… I've been trying to do something on XP Pro, that I know I've done before
> with no great difficulty on XP Home: that is, change a couple of the sound
> scheme settings — specifically, the "Windows Logoff" and "Windows Logon"
> settings.
>
> On XP Home, I recall having to go into the "Sounds and Audio Devices
> Properties" dialogue and selecting the desired item (e.g., Windows Logoff)
> and then using the [Browse] button to find the desired .wav file. I can do
> that, and I can check that I have the correct .wav file by clicking the [>]
> button. So far, so good… But when I actually Logoff/on, I don't get the
> newly selected .wav files.
>
> I've even renamed the desired .wav files to "Windows Logoff(/on)" and placed
> them in the default directory {‹root_drive›\Windows\Media} and tested them
> with the [>] button. And that works (as one would expect)… But again, when
> I logoff and logon, I still get the default Win logoff/on .wav file sounds.
>
> Obviously, I'm missing something basic here… just can't figure out what that
> is. Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Color me stymied,
> —Thri

Maybe this:

Line 30. Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings

--
Joe =o)