From: Graham Murray on
"Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}" <"noone$$"@llondel.org> writes:

> I've had spamassassin (in its spamd form) and sendmail running happily
> for a while now, courtesy of the spamass-milter. However, I notice
> that it appears to do spam filtering before address validation, so it

I do not think that is possible. SpamAssassin needs the complete message
to check for spam, which means that it needs to be run during (or after
if not using a milter) the SMTP DATA phase. Sendmail performs address
validation prior to the DATA phase, so by the time Spamassassin is
invoked, the addresses should already have been evaluated.
From: Gordon Henderson on
In article <87r63zmgti.fsf(a)newton.gmurray.org.uk>,
Graham Murray <newspost(a)gmurray.org.uk> wrote:
>"Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}" <"noone$$"@llondel.org> writes:
>
>> I've had spamassassin (in its spamd form) and sendmail running happily
>> for a while now, courtesy of the spamass-milter. However, I notice
>> that it appears to do spam filtering before address validation, so it
>
>I do not think that is possible. SpamAssassin needs the complete message
>to check for spam, which means that it needs to be run during (or after
>if not using a milter) the SMTP DATA phase. Sendmail performs address
>validation prior to the DATA phase, so by the time Spamassassin is
>invoked, the addresses should already have been evaluated.

That's the behaviour I see when running SA under mimeDefang &
sendmail. ie. email to invalid addresses gets rejected.

Gordon
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Gordon Henderson <gordon+usenet(a)drogon.net> wrote:

> In article <87r63zmgti.fsf(a)newton.gmurray.org.uk>,
> Graham Murray <newspost(a)gmurray.org.uk> wrote:
>>"Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}" <"noone$$"@llondel.org> writes:
>>
>>> I've had spamassassin (in its spamd form) and sendmail running happily
>>> for a while now, courtesy of the spamass-milter. However, I notice
>>> that it appears to do spam filtering before address validation, so it
>>
>>I do not think that is possible. SpamAssassin needs the complete message
>>to check for spam, which means that it needs to be run during (or after
>>if not using a milter) the SMTP DATA phase. Sendmail performs address
>>validation prior to the DATA phase, so by the time Spamassassin is
>>invoked, the addresses should already have been evaluated.
>
> That's the behaviour I see when running SA under mimeDefang &
> sendmail. ie. email to invalid addresses gets rejected.

Maybe he asks how to reject "invalid" recipients of incoming messages on
email gateway between the Internet and internal email system.

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : anfi(a)xl.wp.pl
Klingon function calls do not have 'parameters' -- they have 'arguments'
From: Will Kemp on
Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} wrote:
> Graham Murray wrote:
>> "Dave {Reply Address in.Sig}" <"noone$$"@llondel.org> writes:
>>
>>> I've had spamassassin (in its spamd form) and sendmail running happily
>>> for a while now, courtesy of the spamass-milter. However, I notice
>>> that it appears to do spam filtering before address validation, so it
>> I do not think that is possible. SpamAssassin needs the complete message
>> to check for spam, which means that it needs to be run during (or after
>> if not using a milter) the SMTP DATA phase. Sendmail performs address
>> validation prior to the DATA phase, so by the time Spamassassin is
>> invoked, the addresses should already have been evaluated.
>
> Based on the setup here, where I'm dumping all the spam into a single
> place, much of it is addressed to invalid recipients, including some old
> message-IDs. Some is addressed to mail aliases as well. Therefore I
> assume that it's all being offered to spamassassin without address
> validation or expansion.

You are looking at the *envelope* "To", aren't you? Not the *header* "To:"

--
http://NovemberEchoRomeoDelta.com
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:32:35 -0800, Dave {Reply Address in.Sig} wrote:

> I've had spamassassin (in its spamd form) and sendmail running happily
> for a while now, courtesy of the spamass-milter. However, I notice that
> it appears to do spam filtering before address validation, so it is
> processing a lot more spam than it really needs to, whereas my previous
> installation (not using spamassassin or sendmail) only bothered to
> spam-check stuff that was destined for successful delivery.
>
> Is it possible to set things up so that sendmail does address
> validation/expansion before passing mail on for spam checking? My
> Google-fu has failed to turn up anything useful.

Is changing to Postfix a possibility? That's capable of applying sender
and RBL filtering before the message gets passed to SA.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
 |  Next  |  Last