From: Elder Costa on
I have an embedded design based on Spartan 3e and I need to be able to
update it. Impact is not an option for lack of Xinlinx cables in the
field and also because it has become a behemoth since its first
version. :( I have a simple adapter that allowed me to update a CPLD
by connecting the PC serial port to the JTAG port and I would like to
use it to update the SPI PROM that configures the FPGA.

After a (I think) thorough research in the Internet I have learned
there is no direct way to the SPI PROM through the JTAG port. I have
found this link with a simple IP that could make this bridge. I guess
I may program the FPGA with it using a modified version of wxsvf
player or similar with the low level part modified to drive the
aforementioned cable but I have no idea of what to do afterwards. Any
hint or pointers for a software that could be used in this case would
help.

TIA.
From: Elder Costa on
On Jul 31, 8:23 pm, Elder Costa <costa.el...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an embedded design based on Spartan 3e and I need to be able to
> update it. Impact is not an option for lack of Xinlinx cables in the
> field and also because it has become a behemoth since its first
> version. :( I have a simple adapter that allowed me to update a CPLD
> by connecting the PC serial port to the JTAG port and I would like to
> use it to update the SPI PROM that configures the FPGA.
>
> After a (I think) thorough research in the Internet I have learned
> there is no direct way to the SPI PROM through the JTAG port. I have
> found this link with a simple IP that could make this bridge. I guess
> I may program the FPGA with it using a modified version of wxsvf
> player or similar with the low level part modified to drive the
> aforementioned cable but I have no idea of what to do afterwards. Any
> hint or pointers for a software that could be used in this case would
> help.
>
> TIA.

I forgot to add the link:
http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/IP-Others/JTAG-BSCAN-to-SPI-gateway-IP-core/m-p/2753