From: Michele Simionato on
Say you have a project with a lot of documentation in the form of
Sphinx pages (for instance a book project). What is the the easiest
way to publish it on the Web? I see that GitHub Pages allows you to
publish static pages, but I would need to check in both the .rst
sources and the .html output: it is not that annoying, but perhaps
there is already some services out there publishing Sphinx pages
directly. Do you know of any? Currently I am hosting my stuff on
Google Code but I do not see an easy way to publish the documentation
there. Any hint is appreciated.

Michele Simionato
From: Martin v. Loewis on
Michele Simionato wrote:
> Say you have a project with a lot of documentation in the form of
> Sphinx pages (for instance a book project). What is the the easiest
> way to publish it on the Web? I see that GitHub Pages allows you to
> publish static pages, but I would need to check in both the .rst
> sources and the .html output: it is not that annoying, but perhaps
> there is already some services out there publishing Sphinx pages
> directly. Do you know of any? Currently I am hosting my stuff on
> Google Code but I do not see an easy way to publish the documentation
> there. Any hint is appreciated.

If it's a Python package that this documentation is about, you can host
it on PyPI.

Regards,
Martin
From: Michele Simionato on
On May 4, 8:07 am, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar...(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
> If it's a Python package that this documentation is about, you can host
> it on PyPI.

It must not be Python, but let's consider this case first. How does it
work? When I published
my decorator module (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/decorator) the
support was not very good.
At the end I decided to put the generated .html inside the
long_description field instead of the .rst
source to get the look and feel I wanted. Moreover the
long_description hack works for a single page
documentation, but I am talking here of a book-sized document with
many pages and hyperlinks.
Do you know of recent improvements on the PyPI side about docs
hosting? The CheeseShopTutorial http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
seems to give the same info of the last time I checked.
From: Martin v. Loewis on
> Do you know of recent improvements on the PyPI side about docs
> hosting?

Yes; go to your package's pkg_edit page, i.e.

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=pkg_edit&name=decorator

and provide a zip file at Upload Documentation.

Regards,
Martin
From: Michele Simionato on
On May 4, 8:37 am, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar...(a)v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > Do you know of recent improvements on the PyPI side about docs
> > hosting?
>
> Yes; go to your package's pkg_edit page, i.e.
>
> http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=pkg_edit&name=decorator
>
> and provide a zip file at Upload Documentation.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Cool, that's good to know. I am still accepting recommendations for
non-Python projects ;)