From: Ron Cliborn on
I spit some soda on my the KB of my laptop.
When I turned it off, cleaned it up & rebooted I had problems with my
Keyboard.
Only some of the keys worked.
The keys that worked were all spread out so it wasn't like just a
small area of keys had quit.

I think the last time I priced a replacement Laptop KB, it was around
$100.

My question is this:
Is this a problem that can be fixed by disassembling the laptop and
doing an extensive cleaning or has something
actually broken it the laptop, like maybe a keyboard controller?

I'm very comfortable taking my DESKTOP system apart and rebuilding and
replacing components as needed.
The laptop is something I've never opened before except to upgrade
HD's and Ram.

I'm not sure if the problem can be diagnosed by my brief description
but if anyone is willing to help me with this, I"I'll answer any
additional questions and be grateful as hell.

Incidentally, computer makes a noise as if a key is stuck, but tapping
on each and every key does nothing to make it stop which leads me to
believe that something is broken.

I figured if all else fails I'll just buy a cheap external KB and use
it, but I"d like a try at fixing it first.

The injured laptop is a Toshiba.
I also have another Toshiba laptop that doesn't work.
The keyboard is different is it would fix the "cut out" area.
Not sure if it would help or not, just figured I'd mention it.

I'd be very appreciative of any help, suggestions or even flames on
this matter.
I cannot begin to tell you the grief I'm catching from the wife on
this one.

So if you can assist me.....

Ron
From: jinxy on
On May 5, 6:31 pm, kayef <ka...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> Ron Cliborn wrote:
> > I spit some soda on my the KB of my laptop.
> > When I turned it off, cleaned it up & rebooted I had problems with my
> > Keyboard.
> > Only some of the keys worked.
> > The keys that worked were all spread out so it wasn't like just a
> > small area of keys had quit.
>
> > I think the last time I priced a replacement Laptop KB, it was around
> > $100.
>
> > My question is this:
> > Is this a problem that can be fixed by disassembling the laptop and
> > doing an extensive cleaning or has something
> > actually broken it the laptop, like maybe a keyboard controller?
>
> > I'm very comfortable taking my DESKTOP system apart and rebuilding and
> > replacing components as needed.
> > The laptop is something I've never opened before except to upgrade
> > HD's and Ram.
>
> > I'm not sure if the problem can be diagnosed by  my brief description
> > but if anyone is willing to help me with this, I"I'll answer any
> > additional questions and be grateful as hell.
>
> > Incidentally, computer makes a noise as if a key is stuck, but tapping
> > on each and every key does nothing to make it stop which leads me to
> > believe that something is broken.
>
> > I figured if all else fails I'll just buy a cheap external KB and use
> > it, but I"d like a try at fixing it first.
>
> > The injured laptop is a Toshiba.
> > I also have another Toshiba laptop that doesn't work.
> > The keyboard is different is it would fix the "cut out" area.
> > Not sure if it would help or not, just figured I'd mention it.
>
> > I'd be very appreciative of any help, suggestions or even flames on
> > this matter.
> > I cannot begin to tell you the grief I'm catching from the wife on
> > this one.
>
> > So if you can assist me.....
>
> > Ron
>
> I suggest to take a look at:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2ii1PIHaCM&feature=fvw
>
> Usually there are enough instructions on how to fix it in utube. It is
> not rocket science
>
> FK- Hide quoted text -

I just replaced a bad k/b on a Toshiba A-200, $30.00. Battery out,
modesty strip off, two screws and one m/b ribbon disconnected. New
board in and ready to go,7mins. What do you have that the k/b costs
$100.?
-J