From: forest8 on
Hi there

I am about ready to send the Access Database to a friend who's asked me to
create a database for him.

Since I don't know how his network is set up, should I split the database
before I send it to him or tell him how to split it after sending it out to
him?

Thank you

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:24:01 -0700, forest8 <forest8(a)discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I am about ready to send the Access Database to a friend who's asked me to
>create a database for him.
>
>Since I don't know how his network is set up, should I split the database
>before I send it to him or tell him how to split it after sending it out to
>him?
>
>Thank you

By all means split it first. You'll need to send the recipient both databases;
instruct him to put the backend in a folder to which all the potential users
will have full (read, write, create, delete) permission. They can then open
the frontend and use Tools... Database Utilites... Linked Table Manager (in
2003 or before), or Database Tools... Linked Table Manager to connect to the
new location. Tell them to select all the tables and navigate to the backend
via Network (or Network Neighborhood). They can then make copies of the
frontend for all the users.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
The following link has a file which demonstrates how you can automatically
check the validity of links to the backend at start-up and provide a painless
way for the user to refresh the links. It includes versions for both single
and multiple back ends:

http://community.netscape.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?msg=19444.1&nav=messages&webtag=ws-msdevapps

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England