From: Clare on
I'm creating an Access 2007 dB which will have several users (no more
than 10). I've never split a dB before or worked with a split dB.

What is the best way to split the dB for a Citrix network? We have
shared folders on the network server, and each user has their own
'Home' folder that only they have access to.

Should a split only be done right at the end of the design phase?

Also, if the design needs to be changed e.g. new form / query etc. how
is that done (e.g. is there an 'unsplit' version that one works on and
re-splits??).

If the dB design is changed do the front end versions need manually
distributing for individual users (e.g. copy individual copies into
individual folders?), or does it happen automatically.

[I've managed to find a bit about splitting dBs from MS access help
files, but not much about managing after a split.]

Thanks, Clare
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Clare <clare(a)cavs.org.uk> wrote:

BTW excellent set of questions that show you've been thinking about this.

>I'm creating an Access 2007 dB which will have several users (no more
>than 10). I've never split a dB before or worked with a split dB.
>
>What is the best way to split the dB for a Citrix network? We have
>shared folders on the network server, and each user has their own
>'Home' folder that only they have access to.

The Home folder is likely not a good idea as it could be, likely is, on their local
file server, which could be thousands of miles from the Citrix/Terminal Server
systems. You are best using a user specific folder on a file server local to the
Citrix/TS systems. I'd suggest even better would be on the Citrxi/TSs but IT
depatments likely won't be happy with that.

The Auto FE updater, mentioned below, can create user speicific foldrs on a server
and keep the user specific FE up to date.

>Should a split only be done right at the end of the design phase?

It can be done any time you want. So long as you realize that if you add a new table
to the backend you will have to relink to that table in the FE. Also it used to be
that if you added a field to the middle of a table and then, days or weeks later, you
compoacted the BE, you'd get a strange -1517 error. Until you compacted the FE. I
don't know if this error still happens as I haven't seen it in the newsgroups for
quite a while now. http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/reservederror1517.htm

>Also, if the design needs to be changed e.g. new form / query etc. how
>is that done (e.g. is there an 'unsplit' version that one works on and
>re-splits??).

No, you would work in the split FE (Front End) MDB/ACCDB on your own system and then
dsitribute a copy of that file although likely in MDE/ACCDB format.

>If the dB design is changed do the front end versions need manually
>distributing for individual users (e.g. copy individual copies into
>individual folders?), or does it happen automatically.

Ahh, do I have a solution for you. <smile> See the free Auto FE Updater
http://www.autofeupdater.com to keep the FE for each user up to date. Although note
that there is voluntary licensin and some interesting features out soon.

>[I've managed to find a bit about splitting dBs from MS access help
>files, but not much about managing after a split.]

See the "Splitting your app into a front end and back end Tips" page at
http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/ for more info.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Clare on
On May 25, 8:30 pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
> Clare <cl...(a)cavs.org.uk> wrote:
>
> BTW excellent set of questions that show you've been thinking about this.
>
> >I'm creating an Access 2007 dB which will have several users (no more
> >than 10). I've never split a dB before or worked with a split dB.
>
> >What is the best way to split the dB for a Citrix network? We have
> >shared folders on the network server, and each user has their own
> >'Home' folder that only they have access to.
>
> The Home folder is likely not a good idea as it could be, likely is, on their local
> file server, which could be thousands of miles from the Citrix/Terminal Server
> systems.     You are best using a user specific folder on a file server local to the
> Citrix/TS systems.   I'd suggest even better would be on the Citrxi/TSs but IT
> depatments likely won't be happy with that.
>
> The Auto FE updater, mentioned below, can create user speicific foldrs on a server
> and keep the user specific FE up to date.
>
> >Should a split only be done right at the end of the design phase?
>
> It can be done any time you want.  So long as you realize that if you add a new table
> to the backend you will have to relink to that table in the FE.   Also it used to be
> that if you added a field to the middle of a table and then, days or weeks later, you
> compoacted the BE, you'd get a strange -1517 error.  Until you compacted the FE.  I
> don't know if this error still happens as I haven't seen it in the newsgroups for
> quite a while now.  http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/reservederror1517.htm
>
> >Also, if the design needs to be changed e.g. new form / query etc. how
> >is that done (e.g. is there an 'unsplit' version that one works on and
> >re-splits??).
>
> No, you would work in the split FE (Front End) MDB/ACCDB on your own system and then
> dsitribute a copy of that file although likely in MDE/ACCDB format.
>
> >If the dB design is changed do the front end versions need manually
> >distributing for individual users (e.g. copy individual copies into
> >individual folders?), or does it happen automatically.
>
> Ahh, do I have a solution for you.   <smile> See the free Auto FE Updaterhttp://www.autofeupdater.com to keep the FE for each user up to date.  Although note
> that there is voluntary licensin and some interesting features out soon.
>
> >[I've managed to find a bit about splitting dBs from MS access help
> >files, but not much about managing after a split.]
>
> See the "Splitting your app into a front end and back end Tips" page athttp://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp/for more info.
>
> Tony
> --
> Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
> Tony's Main MS Access pages -http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
> Tony's Microsoft Access Blog -http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
> For a convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
>   updated seehttp://www.autofeupdater.com/
> Granite Fleet Managerhttp://www.granitefleet.com/

Hi Tony

Thank you so much for your detailed help!
I will look through everything and give it a go.

Clare
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Clare <clare(a)cavs.org.uk> wrote:

>Thank you so much for your detailed help!
>I will look through everything and give it a go.

You're quite welcome. Please post back if any problems.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP