From: Wayne on
Can anyone confirm that Access 2010 will coexist peacefully on the
same machine with previous versions in the same way that Access 2007
does?
From: Banana on
On 5/24/10 4:50 PM, Wayne wrote:
> Can anyone confirm that Access 2010 will coexist peacefully on the
> same machine with previous versions in the same way that Access 2007
> does?

I briefly tested in a VM that I was about to trash and found that it'd
have the same reconfiguration wait as one had between 2003/2007.
Furthermore, I'm inclined to say it's not worth maintaining side by side
installs because you have to be careful to not open both applications at
same time, even by accident. Under right circumstances, the references
can get quite broken.

From: Wayne on
On May 25, 11:15 am, Banana <Ban...(a)Republic.com> wrote:

> I briefly tested in a VM that I was about to trash and found that it'd
> have the same reconfiguration wait as one had between 2003/2007.
> Furthermore, I'm inclined to say it's not worth maintaining side by side
> installs because you have to be careful to not open both applications at
> same time, even by accident. Under right circumstances, the references
> can get quite broken.

Thanks for the reply. Nothing would make me happier than not to have
to maintain several versions. :-) Unfortunately I have clients that
run A2002, A2003, A2007 and undoubtably A2010 in the near future. I'm
not left with any option (other than multiple development machines or
VMs) when I need to compile different versions into mdes for
distribution. I think there are many others in the same boat.

From: Banana on
On 5/24/10 6:27 PM, Wayne wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Nothing would make me happier than not to have
> to maintain several versions. :-) Unfortunately I have clients that
> run A2002, A2003, A2007 and undoubtably A2010 in the near future. I'm
> not left with any option (other than multiple development machines or
> VMs) when I need to compile different versions into mdes for
> distribution. I think there are many others in the same boat.

Indeed, and I would be in the boat myself. My personal solution is just
to use VMs which works well and I find it quite useful in testing
server-client scenarios (e.g. running two VMs at same time to provide
good way to test those scenarios). Since two (or more, but I'd need more
power) VM can run, I can have concurrent tests so am willing to put up
with extra startup of VM versus reconfiguration time, but that's just
me. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

From: Allen Browne on
"Wayne" <cqdigital(a)volcanomail.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone confirm that Access 2010 will coexist peacefully on
> the same machine with previous versions in the same way that
> Access 2007 does?

There was a problem with the beta, but I have the RTM version of A2010
installed on the same laptop as A2007, A2003, and A2000.

Same issues: re-registers each time you switch versions, and be sure NOT to
run different versions at the same time.

Also, decompile, compact, and compile a database if you opened it in a
different version.