From: David W. Fenton on
Banana <Banana(a)Republic.com> wrote in
news:4BFB24BF.7060500(a)Republic.com:

> On 5/24/10 4:50 PM, Wayne wrote:
>> Can anyone confirm that Access 2010 will coexist peacefully on
>> the same machine with previous versions in the same way that
>> Access 2007 does?
>
> I briefly tested in a VM that I was about to trash and found that
> it'd have the same reconfiguration wait as one had between
> 2003/2007. Furthermore, I'm inclined to say it's not worth
> maintaining side by side installs because you have to be careful
> to not open both applications at same time, even by accident.
> Under right circumstances, the references can get quite broken.

I do that all the time with A2003 and A2003, and the only thing you
have to be careful with is making sure that you make sure your
preferred version gets fully registered at some point. That means
closing both and running the preferred version.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Wayne <cqdigital(a)volcanomail.com> wrote in
m:

> On May 25, 11:15�am, Banana <Ban...(a)Republic.com> wrote:
>
>> I briefly tested in a VM that I was about to trash and found that
>> it'd have the same reconfiguration wait as one had between
>> 2003/2007. Furthermore, I'm inclined to say it's not worth
>> maintaining side by side installs because you have to be careful
>> to not open both applications at same time, even by accident.
>> Under right circumstances, the references can get quite broken.
>
> Thanks for the reply. Nothing would make me happier than not to
> have to maintain several versions. :-) Unfortunately I have
> clients that run A2002, A2003, A2007 and undoubtably A2010 in the
> near future. I'm not left with any option (other than multiple
> development machines or VMs) when I need to compile different
> versions into mdes for distribution. I think there are many
> others in the same boat.

You should give Windows 7 a good look. I'm a huge, huge fan, and I
have it running on a 7-year-old Thinkpad and it's faster than the
machine was when it was running WinXP. The upgrade was not
completely painless (from XP to Win7 is a new Windows install), but
in this case I wanted to get rid of all traces of the old Windows
and old software. The thing that really impressed me was that all
the hardware and drivers were correctly detected and installed
properly.

I've been putting off the same upgrade on my work laptop only
because its graphics subsystem is not as good as the Thinkpad (even
though it's a newer machine), and doesn't support Aero. I'm not sure
if that will be a performance issue or not (I'm not worried about
losing transparency).

My point in promoting Win7 is that you get WinXP mode, where you can
set up individual virtual machines each with an individual,
independent version of Access. If you're having problems switching
versions (which I am *not* having, BTW), or just don't want to wait
on the re-registration prompts (which I'd love to avoid), the VM in
Win7 would be the way to go, in my opinion.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Wayne on
On May 25, 11:33 pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...(a)SeeSig.invalid>
wrote:

> There was a problem with the beta, but I have the RTM version of A2010
> installed on the same laptop as A2007, A2003, and A2000.
>
> Same issues: re-registers each time you switch versions, and be sure NOT to
> run different versions at the same time.
>
> Also, decompile, compact, and compile a database if you opened it in a
> different version.

Thanks Allen. I've now installed A2010 alongside A2002, A2003 and
A2007 and the all seem to be living together happily. Off topic, but
since I installed a solid state hard drive the "reinstall" when
changing from 2003 to 2010 takes 13 seconds and 4 seconds when
changing from 2010 to 2003. Best hardware purchase I've made in a
very long time. :-)

From: Wayne on
On May 26, 3:29 am, "David W. Fenton" <XXXuse...(a)dfenton.com.invalid>
wrote:

> You should give Windows 7 a good look. I'm a huge, huge fan, and I
> have it running on a 7-year-old Thinkpad and it's faster than the
> machine was when it was running WinXP.

+1. IMHO Windows 7 is by far the best OS we've seen for a very long
time. I'd almost forgotten about the VM capabilities. I tried it in
an early beta and it was a bit buggy but it obviously works well now.
I think I need to have another look at it.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Wayne <cqdigital(a)volcanomail.com> wrote:

>Off topic, but
>since I installed a solid state hard drive the "reinstall" when
>changing from 2003 to 2010 takes 13 seconds and 4 seconds when
>changing from 2010 to 2003. Best hardware purchase I've made in a
>very long time. :-)

Ahh, very interesting. I've been reading about those with a certain amount of lust.
Trouble is I do all my work on a laptop so not really room for two drives as I'd like
to keep lots of misc non work related files around.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP