From: Wayne on
On May 27, 12:29 pm, "Tony Toews [MVP]" <tto...(a)telusplanet.net>
wrote:
> Wayne <cqdigi...(a)volcanomail.com> wrote:

> Ahh, very interesting.  I've been reading about those with a certain amount of lust.
> Trouble is I do all my work on a laptop so not really room for two drives as I'd like
> to keep lots of misc non work related files around.

Hi Tony. As we "speak" I'm configuring my new Dell Vostro 3700
laptop. Just received it today together with an Intel 80 gig SSD that
I ordered. I'd experimented prior to this by temporarily inserting an
SSD into my other laptop. The performance boost was even more
remarkable than on the desktop. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with a
considerable swag of apps uses about 21 gig.

I've allowed a partition of 30 gig as I did on my desktop. This still
leaves considerable space for all your other stuff. Of course,
whether this is enough room depends on how much other "stuff" you
have. :-) If you can get by with 80 gig, you can have the latest
Intel drive for around $200 USD. Of course you can go bigger but you
will need to dig deeper into the pocket. These drives are incredible
and IMO present the best value for money hardware upgrade you can do
on virtually any PC.

They have them down to a fairly fine art now and Windows 7 supports
"trim" to keep the wear on the chips evenly spread. I can't speak
highly enough of these drives. Everyone I know who has installed one
is now a "convert".
From: Allen Browne on
Interesting info, Wayne. I've been considering a Vostro 3700 as my next
laptop, possibly with an SSD.

Though I'm not sure I'll dedicate it to the db. I also have a research
library that seems the ideal app. to put on SSD as content is static once
installed, and the seek speed would really make a difference.

From: David W. Fenton on
:

> On May 25, 11:33�pm, "Allen Browne" <AllenBro...(a)SeeSig.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> There was a problem with the beta, but I have the RTM version of
>> A2010 installed on the same laptop as A2007, A2003, and A2000.
>>
>> Same issues: re-registers each time you switch versions, and be
>> sure NOT
>> run different versions at the same time.
>>
>> Also, decompile, compact, and compile a database if you opened it
>> in a different version.
>
> Thanks Allen. I've now installed A2010 alongside A2002, A2003 and
> A2007 and the all seem to be living together happily. Off topic,
> but since I installed a solid state hard drive the "reinstall"
> when changing from 2003 to 2010 takes 13 seconds and 4 seconds
> when changing from 2010 to 2003. Best hardware purchase I've made
> in a very long time. :-)

Solid-state drives are a HUGE benefit and I'm surprised more people
are not buying them. I think the price point is still high enough to
scare people away, but in my experienced, it's only people who've
never used a machine with one who are scared by the price/GB
premium. Newegg has one on sale nearly every week. The laptop I use
as my main machine is only 70GBs with 24GBs free, so if I bought the
$170 60GB drive, I could still use it. The 120GB is $334. I'm
contemplating a netbook in the next few months, and will probably
spring for an SSD hard drive replacement to make a screaming little
machine that will plug into a monitor, mouse and keyboard at home,
and be this tiny little thing when on the road. There's now a
dual-core Atom chip and if I can get 64-bit Windows, I'm golden for
a really nice ultra-portable that will completely function as a home
desktop.

If you haven't tried an SSD-equipped computer, I recommend that you
do. I've been having all my clients order their laptops with them,
and they are all ecstatic, and then hate their destkops with
old-fashioned hard drives!

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in

> Wayne <cqdigital(a)volcanomail.com> wrote:
>
>>Off topic, but
>>since I installed a solid state hard drive the "reinstall" when
>>changing from 2003 to 2010 takes 13 seconds and 4 seconds when
>>changing from 2010 to 2003. Best hardware purchase I've made in a
>>very long time. :-)
>
> Ahh, very interesting. I've been reading about those with a
> certain amount of lust. Trouble is I do all my work on a laptop so
> not really room for two drives as I'd like to keep lots of misc
> non work related files around.

Replace the drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227476

That's 120GBs for $334. These prices will drop and drop as more
people buy them, but the productivity increase should not stop you
from buying even now, while the price/GB premium is still quite high
(though not nearly as high as it was just a year ago).

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Wayne <cqdigital(a)volcanomail.com> wrote in
m:

> They have them down to a fairly fine art now and Windows 7
> supports "trim" to keep the wear on the chips evenly spread. I
> can't speak highly enough of these drives. Everyone I know who
> has installed one is now a "convert".

I just posted more or less the same rave reviews.

If you haven't tried them, you don't realize what a productivity
enhancement it is. You can get a 120GB SSD for just over $300
(though not the Intel brand) and that would replace the hard drive
in most laptops pretty nicely.

I can't recommend it highly enough.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/