From: Mark Opolo on
Just received in my email..........I suggest you do not click any of the
links

Dear Windows XP Customer,
We have released a free update for Windows� XP called Service Pack 3 to make
your PC with Windows XP run more securely and reliably. Support for Windows
XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) is coming to an end on July 13, 2010. If you
have not already done so, we strongly recommend you follow the following
four easy steps:
Install the latest service pack (Service Pack 3). This is required to
continue receiving support and security updates.
Install Internet Explorer� 8.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx
Make sure you have an up-to-date antivirus program, such as Microsoft�
Security Essentials, installed.
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Get the latest updates from Microsoft by setting Microsoft Update to the
recommended settings.
Service Pack 3 (SP3) for Windows XP is a no-cost update and includes all
previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates and
hotfixes. It can be obtained by any of these methods:
Run Windows Update;
Download and install SP3 from the download center at
http://support.microsoft.com/ (select 'Windows XP Service Pack 3' in the
'Downloads and Updates' box); or
Order a CD copy of SP3 from Microsoft (handling charge applies) on the
'Windows XP Service Pack 3' support page referenced above. If you have any
questions about this update, please visit the Windows XP Solution Center at:
http://support.microsoft.com.
To learn more about end of support, please visit: End of support landing
page.
For information about all things Windows, please visit: http://windows.com.

Please do not reply to this email because the address is not monitored.

We value you as a customer and want to continue making your computing
experience even better. If you need help, please contact us through one of
the methods described above.

Sincerely,

Martin Sacchi
Senior Director
Genuine Windows

From: Nil on
On 30 Apr 2010, "Mark Opolo" <Tim(a)btinternet.com> wrote in
alt.os.windows-xp:

> Just received in my email..........I suggest you do not click any
> of the links

The message as you have quoted it is not enough to say whether its
legitimate or not. We would need to see the headers. If the message is
displayed to you in fancy HTML format, the links, although they appear
here to point to Microsoft's site, could actually take you somewhere
else.

XP Service Pack 3 is real, but it's been out for for a couple of years
and I don't know why Microsoft would be telling you about it now,
especially in an unsolicited email.

I'm suspicious.
From: Mark Opolo on

"Nil" <rednoise(a)REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
> On 30 Apr 2010, "Mark Opolo" <Tim(a)btinternet.com> wrote in
> alt.os.windows-xp:
>
>> Just received in my email..........I suggest you do not click any
>> of the links
>
> The message as you have quoted it is not enough to say whether its
> legitimate or not. We would need to see the headers. If the message is
> displayed to you in fancy HTML format, the links, although they appear
> here to point to Microsoft's site, could actually take you somewhere
> else.
>
> XP Service Pack 3 is real, but it's been out for for a couple of years
> and I don't know why Microsoft would be telling you about it now,
> especially in an unsolicited email.
>
> I'm suspicious.

Yes, so am I.

I have other emails addresses running under XP SP3 and they have not
received the email if it's so important.

From: Falco on
Mark Opolo wrote:
> so you clicked the links....hope your phishing protection is good.
>

> "Falco" <titan(a)runnny-honney......invalid.com> wrote in message

<Snipped for brevety>

No, I didn't "click the links" - I simply copied and pasted them into the
address bar of Firefox and they appeared genuine - and when selected that
way, the link to a genuine Microsoft web page giving all the information.

As for protection, yes my computer is well protected - but I also don't
suffer from paranoia and check addresses first.

Falco

From: Falco on
Mark Opolo wrote:
> "Nil" <rednoise(a)REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 30 Apr 2010, "Mark Opolo" <Tim(a)btinternet.com> wrote in
>> alt.os.windows-xp:
>>
>>> Just received in my email..........I suggest you do not click any
>>> of the links
>>
>> The message as you have quoted it is not enough to say whether its
>> legitimate or not. We would need to see the headers. If the message
>> is displayed to you in fancy HTML format, the links, although they
>> appear here to point to Microsoft's site, could actually take you
>> somewhere else.
>>
>> XP Service Pack 3 is real, but it's been out for for a couple of
>> years and I don't know why Microsoft would be telling you about it
>> now, especially in an unsolicited email.
>>
>> I'm suspicious.
>
> Yes, so am I.
>
> I have other emails addresses running under XP SP3 and they have not
> received the email if it's so important.

So where does that e-mail appear to come from, show the headers please.

Falco