From: Greg Russell on
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Can I install Microsoft Security Essentials [or any other
> anti-virus/anti-spyware application] to clean up my already-infected
> computer?

Probably not.

From: Nil on
On 07 May 2010, Barry Schwarz <schwarzb(a)dqel.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> I receive Spybot S&D definition updates every week. How often do you
> need them updated?

I need them updated AT LEAST every day.
From: Nil on
On 08 May 2010, Nil <rednoise(a)REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> On 07 May 2010, Barry Schwarz <schwarzb(a)dqel.com> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> I receive Spybot S&D definition updates every week. How often do
>> you need them updated?
>
> I need them updated AT LEAST every day.

And Spybot often goes for much longer than a week between updates. And
another thing about it - it doesn't play well with Vista's and Win7's
UAC. You have to explicitly run it as Adminstrator in order for it to
clean anything. It's very annoying to do a lengthy scan, only to find
out that you forgot that step and wasted your time. At this point, I
don't expect that to be fixed. I get the distinct impression that the
developers have lost interest in the product.
From: didee58 on
My one care expirs in Sept.if I had known that is was a program that is no
longer going to be available I wouldn't have pd for it in the first place.got
computer from son so not sure what was on it new.I use windows defender +AVG
on laptop(it has Vista) which seems to work well. Just need good one to get
rid of +keep the baddie's from gettin in. Again Thanks

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> ...got computer from son so not sure what was on it new

Assuming you (not your son) installed OneCare in September 2009, what
anti-virus application was installed when your son gave or sold you the
computer and was the subscription current at the time?

> window's one care apparently does not work very well as I seem to have an
> infected computer.

You will find assistance for your hijackware issue in the OneCare
Peer-to-Peer Support Forums:
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsliveonecare/

How to reach official OneCare Support (FAQ)
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

NB: If the computer's already infected, neither Spybot nor any other
anti-spyware or anti-virus application will properly install now.