From: didee58 on
Just want to say thanks,I just went ahead and reinstalled Spy bot. Picked up
like 70+ virus and such.So much for live one care,its just doing a band up
job(not) anyway,Thanks for help.

From: Eddie on
Nil wrote:

> In my opinion, Spybot has declined in recent years. It's spyware
> definitions are not updated very often and it seems to miss things
> that other malware scanners find. I still use it, though, but only
> for one of its Immunize feature, which adds their groomed list of bad
> web sites to your Hosts file and to your browser's restricted zones.
> I will scan the system with it occasionally, but I don't rely on it.

You gotta be kidding NIls..... My Spybot has updates at least once a
week,,, and I've had up to 3.

Secondly, from what I know, I was always led to believe that Spybot is
primarily for 'dialers' and the like; I certainly wouldnt get rid of
it. Also, as of right now, it has 1,300,800 definitions which are
increasing at a dramatic rate as rip-off merchant try to find new ways
to steal your connection etc. (thats:: one million, three hundred
thousand and eighty defs.... probably more as I type.)

Ed
From: Nil on
On 23 May 2010, Eddie <albert(a)greenacres.far> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> You gotta be kidding NIls..... My Spybot has updates at least
> once a week,,, and I've had up to 3.

No, I'm not kidding. It's been years since they updated their
definitions more than once a week. Here's their list of updates since
2002:

<http://www.safer-networking.org/en/updatehistory/overview.html>

> Secondly, from what I know, I was always led to believe that
> Spybot is primarily for 'dialers' and the like; I certainly
> wouldnt get rid of it.

As I said, I don't get rid of it because I like the Immunize feature.
But I've found other malware scanners (Malwarebytes and
SuperAntiSpyware) that I think are more on top of things and are more
reliable.