From: link285 on
I have a sql server with many dbs. I don't get why when I delete a long running query(about 1 or 2 minutes) to complete, but while this is running, my other separate db on the same server hangs on some queries.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming/
From: link285 on
I should note that it is Sql server 2005 on windows server 2003.
Should a queries on one db locks another db?
I thought it should not even lock another table on the same db.

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming/Sql-Server-hang-when-deleting-many-records
From: Uri Dimant on
Hi
How many rows are you deleting?
Try this approach (small batch of 2000 rows)

WHILE 1 = 1
BEGIN
DELETE TOP(2000)
FROM Foo
WHERE <predicate>;

IF @@ROWCOUNT < 2000 BREAK;
END

From: link285 on
Hi,
I was deleting about 2k rows. But that's not really my concern. If I'm deleting from a table I don't want it to timeout a separate db's query. I can understand if it locks the same table but...

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming/Sql-Server-hang-when-deleting-many-records
From: Uri Dimant on
Hi
A deletion consumes resources such as memory (lock operations) , cpu and
etc... So fo sure performing an efficient delete operation won't hurt
overall performance