From: Bearcat Bc on
I have a home network setup with 1-XP Pro SP3, 1-XP Home SP3, 1-Vista Home
Premium SP2 and a network printer. Everything works great - sharing in all
and has since last years setup. From time to time the printer randomly
changes IP address requiring manual changes to the port configuration. The
computers never change. How can it be changed to a static IP?

Thanks,
Bc

From: Bearcat Bc on
I forgot to mention the Linksys router

From: Lem on
Bearcat Bc wrote:
> I forgot to mention the Linksys router
>
> "Bearcat Bc" <bearcat(a)msn.com> wrote in message
>> I have a home network setup with 1-XP Pro SP3, 1-XP Home SP3, 1-Vista
>> Home Premium SP2 and a network printer. Everything works great -
>> sharing in all and has since last years setup. From time to time the
>> printer randomly changes IP address requiring manual changes to the
>> port configuration. The computers never change. How can it be changed
>> to a static IP?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bc

You change the printer to a static IP address (which is a good idea, for
the reason you have observed) in the printer's own configuration
utility. Depending on the printer (which you haven't identified), you
may be able to do this from the printer's front panel or through an
embedded web server.

Note that if you have an HP printer that uses the special HP tcp/ip
port, there may be an option on the "configure port" screen to
automatically find the printer when its IP address changes. I suspect
that you don't have this, or you would have noticed it by now. In any
case, I usually ignore that option and set hp printers to use a static
IP address.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
Also make sure that the static IP address is Not within the DHCP range (many
of the Linksys Entry Level routers do not have Static DHCP).
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Bearcat Bc on
Sorry it is a Samsung CLX-6210FX Laser. It did not have a way in the printer
configuration utility or the panel to set for static, but your hint to look
at the web server solved the issue. After going through all of the network
tabs of the web server I found the option. All is good now.

Many Thanks,

Bc (before time, i.e. before computers anyway)