From: SPG on
Friend has a Dell Dimension with XP Pro SP3. When the system is at the
office we can access the internet with a
static IP. When at home switching to DHCP we get the error message cable
disconnected. Hooking another system at
home we have no problem getting the internet. Any ideas ?

Thanks,

Sam

From: Greg Russell on
In news:uZKPIITKLHA.3732(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
SPG <nomail(a)nomail.com> typed:

> Friend has a Dell Dimension with XP Pro SP3. When the system is at
> the office we can access the internet with a static IP.

*Which* static IP? Is it one that you just pulled out of a hat, or was it
assigned to "your friend" by the network admin at work? Your OP was made
using 65.40.165.118.

> When at home switching to DHCP we get the error message
> cable disconnected.

.... and what device is serving the DHCP? Is any firewall allowing the DHCP?

You really need to describe the network topology much better, as people just
aren't too inclined to play guessing games.

From: SPG on
The office IP was assigned by the network admin. At home it IP address is
assigned by a router. The router (4 port) is used for 3 machines. I can
hook into it with my laptop with no problems.

Sam

From: thecreator on
Hi Sam,

The problem is that the Network Administrator of the Office assign the
Computer a Specific IP Address to be used at the Office with their Router.

At home, the Router assigns the IP Address. It can be a Static IP
Address, but the DNS Server Addresses may be different from the Office at
home.

If it is a Company Laptop, the operator may not be able to go into the
Wireless Network Connection Properties and change the Internet Protocol,
ahem, the IP Address. That may be blocked by the Network Administrator.

Your friend needs to ask, for permission to make changes or he is out of
luck.

--
thecreator