From: Roy on
Hello group
I would like to know if the 64 bit system has matured as there is the
rise of laptops that have embraced this system
At this time how far has it evolved that necessary drivers are already
available for most software.
Any comments?

Would most (if not all) the 32 bit wares can run easily in the 64 bit
system?
Is it mandatory now that software developers should address both the
32 and 64 bit system in every product the create?
Roy
From: BillW50 on
In
Roy typed on Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:59:39 -0800 (PST):
> Hello group
> I would like to know if the 64 bit system has matured as there is the
> rise of laptops that have embraced this system
> At this time how far has it evolved that necessary drivers are already
> available for most software.
> Any comments?

Hi Roy! I don't think 64 bit is ready for primetime yet. Some businesses
can benefit from 64 bit, but most home users will probably not. So which
are you?

> Would most (if not all) the 32 bit wares can run easily in the 64 bit
> system?
> Is it mandatory now that software developers should address both the
> 32 and 64 bit system in every product the create?
> Roy

No I don't think so. As there is no incentive for developers to make 64
bit compatible unless customers complain. And as long as the percentage
of the complaints remain small, nothing is likely going to change.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 2 of 3 - Windows XP SP3

From: Roy on
On Jan 4, 7:19 am, "BillW50" <Bill...(a)aol.kom> wrote:
> Innews:13caa01e-a3bc-428a-965f-4f6467b6ae77(a)l30g2000yqb.googlegroups.com,
> Roy typed on Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:59:39 -0800 (PST):
>
> > Hello group
> > I would like to know if the 64 bit system has matured as there is the
> > rise of laptops that have embraced this system
> > At this time how far has it evolved that necessary drivers are already
> > available for most software.
> > Any comments?
>
> Hi Roy! I don't think 64 bit is ready for primetime yet. Some businesses
> can benefit from 64 bit, but most home users will probably not. So which
> are you?
>
> > Would  most (if not all) the 32 bit wares can run easily in the 64 bit
> > system?
> > Is it mandatory now that software developers should address both the
> > 32 and 64 bit system in every product the create?
> > Roy
>
> No I don't think so. As there is no incentive for developers to make 64
> bit compatible unless customers complain. And as long as the percentage
> of the complaints remain small, nothing is likely going to change.
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 2 of 3 - Windows XP SP3

Hmm as I am a mobile professional as of recent and frequently travels
I would like to invest on high end portable ( 13 inch screen carbon
fiber notebook) running 64 bit windows professional with , intel chip
i-core2duo 2.80 ghz, with 6GIGDDR3 ram and dual graphics system
( stamina and speed mode).
What bothers me is the software that I use are mostly geared for 32
bit OS.
If have to transfer these wares I am worried it might not run in the
64 bit unit and therefore would not be nice investment.
It had been my perception( might be wrong?) that 32 bit system can run
smoothly in the 64 bit environment?
My other intent for getting the powerful but highly portable desktop
replacement was for future proofing and I was thinking that 64 bit
would be the way?

I hope you wouldn't mind if I ask again;;

From: Barry Watzman on
The issue is not "has 64-bit Windows matured"; rather, the issue is
whether or not you need to run hardware or software that will not run
under a 64-bit OS. With a number of exceptions, the issues isn't so
much software (most of it will run), but device driver for hardware.
there are still a LOT of devices, even recent ones (even CURRENT ones,
in a few cases) for which 64-bit drivers simply do not exist.

From: Barry Watzman on
MOST, yes. Maybe all (of what you need), but it only takes one "no" to
be a show-stopper for many individuals or firms, IF that one "no" is a
"mission critical" application.

Again, for most people, the bigger issue is hardware device drivers, not
software.