From: don on
I have a Toshiba Satellite model 1400 which does not turn on - no beep,
blank screen, no messages.
The power light is on, the on light is on, the battery light is amber
meaning it is charging, the harddrive light is off, and the cd rom drive is
on, but the cd rom will not open.
I heard the fan go on for a brief moment. I tried removing the battery and
doing a power on but nothing helped.

From: BillW50 on
In news:hhqr58$6dv$1(a)reader1.panix.com,
don typed on Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:29:33 -0500:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite model 1400 which does not turn on - no
> beep, blank screen, no messages.
> The power light is on, the on light is on, the battery light is amber
> meaning it is charging, the harddrive light is off, and the cd rom
> drive is on, but the cd rom will not open.
> I heard the fan go on for a brief moment. I tried removing the
> battery and doing a power on but nothing helped.

This isn't good Don. Did you try it on battery power alone? The whole
idea to troubleshoot this kind of problem is to unplug as much as you
can. Hard drives, optical drives, RAM, etc. As one of them could be
drawing too much current preventing the laptop from powering up.
Although the power light will usually blink on and off. So it doesn't
sound too good.

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

From: Father Justin on
On 1/3/10 3:07 PM, BillW50 wrote:
> In news:hhqr58$6dv$1(a)reader1.panix.com,
> don typed on Sun, 3 Jan 2010 14:29:33 -0500:
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite model 1400 which does not turn on - no
>> beep, blank screen, no messages.
>> The power light is on, the on light is on, the battery light is amber
>> meaning it is charging, the harddrive light is off, and the cd rom
>> drive is on, but the cd rom will not open.
>> I heard the fan go on for a brief moment. I tried removing the
>> battery and doing a power on but nothing helped.
>
> This isn't good Don. Did you try it on battery power alone? The whole
> idea to troubleshoot this kind of problem is to unplug as much as you
> can. Hard drives, optical drives, RAM, etc. As one of them could be
> drawing too much current preventing the laptop from powering up.
> Although the power light will usually blink on and off. So it doesn't
> sound too good.

Agreed.
Just remember - static kills!
The OP needs to ground himself before screwing around. :)
I know somebody very close who toasted a printer by discharging static
into a USB cord...

--
http://www.vatican.va