From: David Murray on
I was just playing around with VICE and realized it offers a Dual SID
capability.. then I started wondering if there is anything that
actually uses this. I found the old Stereo SID Player from 1988 and
played a few songs. Truth is, they may have had 6 voices but I've
heard plenty more impressive tunes on a regular 3-voice SID. So the
question is, are there any demos or other software that make use of
the stereo SID that really show off the abilities?
From: iAN CooG on
David Murray <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was just playing around with VICE and realized it offers a Dual SID
> capability.. then I started wondering if there is anything that
> actually uses this. I found the old Stereo SID Player from 1988 and
> played a few songs. Truth is, they may have had 6 voices but I've
> heard plenty more impressive tunes on a regular 3-voice SID. So the
> question is, are there any demos or other software that make use of
> the stereo SID that really show off the abilities?

GoatTracker stereo
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=75239

some tunes (C64 2SID compo)
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/event/?id=1300

last 2sid produced
http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=82692

you can search more with 2sid or stereo keywords. In HVSC we're planning to
add support for those double SID tunes, but file format need to be upgraded
adding 2 fields (2nd sidmodel and 2nd sid address) and players must support
them. There are currently 52 double sid tunes collected, not many.

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-
Back up my hard disk? I can't find the reverse switch!

From: rusure on
On Oct 16, 2:02 pm, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Truth is, they may have had 6 voices but I've heard plenty
> more impressive tunes on a regular 3-voice SID.   So the
> question is, are there any demos or other software that
> make use of the stereo SID that really show off the abilities?

This may not answer your question, but you may try some options
and settings of the STEREO PLAYER other than their defaults..
Playing with the reverberation settings for 3 voice SIDs is a lot of
fun.
This was espcially true for the HOOKED ON CLASSICS piece.

From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
rusure <r_u_sure(a)mybluelight.com> wrote:

> On Oct 16, 2:02 pm, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Truth is, they may have had 6 voices but I've heard plenty
> > more impressive tunes on a regular 3-voice SID.   So the
> > question is, are there any demos or other software that
> > make use of the stereo SID that really show off the abilities?
>
> This may not answer your question, but you may try some options
> and settings of the STEREO PLAYER other than their defaults..
> Playing with the reverberation settings for 3 voice SIDs is a lot of
> fun.
> This was espcially true for the HOOKED ON CLASSICS piece.

Playing around with the settings on the player do help a little bit, but
there are several tangible problems that make .MUS/.STR files seem weak by
comparison...

For one, many of the authors who make modern 3-voice tunes are just way more
talented than most of the 6-voice authors out there. Better talent
frequently wins over improved technology, as we can all attest to.

The second is that modern engines routinely run hundreds of events per
second, with occasional sampled instruments and more sound effects, so
the tunes written for those engines can be far more complex, regardless of
the raw number of voices. .MUS has been revised a couple of times, but
tunes written for it are still fixed at about 60 events per second and are
strictly synth while the music is playing.

Also bear in mind that most .MUS authors focused on creating covers of
existing "real life" music, while modern authors usually focus on original
compositions, which allows for far more creativity.

There were some good .MUS tunes and authors though. The late Jerry Roth
did a few good ones (like Johnny B. Goode or Hello Mary Lou). Another
interesting one is "Electric" by David Vazquez. It's weak in places, but it
uses the final revision of the .MUS format to pull off a few modern-sounding
effects.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over. Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."

From: rusure on
On Oct 17, 10:11 am, Vanessa Ezekowitz <vanessaezekow...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 07:41:14 -0700 (PDT)
>
> > On Oct 16, 2:02 pm, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Truth is, they may have had 6 voices but I've heard plenty
> > > more impressive tunes on a regular 3-voice SID.   So the
> > > question is, are there any demos or other software that
> > > make use of the stereo SID that really show off the abilities?
>
> For one, many of the authors who make modern 3-voice tunes are just
> way more talented than most of the 6-voice authors out there.  Better
> talent frequently wins over improved technology, as we can all attest to.

It occurred to me that Mr. Murray's problem may be that he
is using a wimpy computer audio system rather than a high
powered stereo. Even the speakers on the celebrated 1084S
don't match equipment dedicated to high quality sound.

I agree with you that Dr. J had a unique talent for the
STEREOPLAYER. The quality of his 3 voice work, like
DETOUR, is apparent on stereo equipment with reverberation.