From: iballooka on
Hope for some help on a workflow...

Objective…

Transfer around 500 Tiff Images onto a DVD to play on 1080p HD LCD TV

Image quality the utmost priority.

PAL TV System

------

Kit Available.

Mac Pro's Various specs all high end kit.

All have Snow Leopard

FCP 7.0.1

Lightroom

Aperture (dislike this app)

CS4

-----

The completed DVD to be played on a standard DVD Player only and to
fill the screen of a 1080p with no letter boxing…

And View via a HDMi Monitor using a Mac Pro Computer the computer is
connected already to an HDMI monitor...

A simple step by step work flow would be greatly appreciated…

Knowledge on FCP is reasonable, although not a regular user, codecs is
the issue and image size and pixel type, so confusing….

Timescale available 3 days…

Any help appreciated....

--
Mike
------------

From: SM on
iballooka <kamtek(a)nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hope for some help on a workflow...
>
> Objective
>
> Transfer around 500 Tiff Images onto a DVD to play on 1080p HD LCD TV
>
> Image quality the utmost priority.
>
> PAL TV System
>
> ------
>
> Kit Available.
>
> Mac Pro's Various specs all high end kit.
>
> All have Snow Leopard
>
> FCP 7.0.1
>
> Lightroom
>
> Aperture (dislike this app)
>
> CS4
>
> -----
>
> The completed DVD to be played on a standard DVD Player only and to
> fill the screen of a 1080p with no letter boxing
>
> And View via a HDMi Monitor using a Mac Pro Computer the computer is
> connected already to an HDMI monitor...
>
> A simple step by step work flow would be greatly appreciated
>
> Knowledge on FCP is reasonable, although not a regular user, codecs is
> the issue and image size and pixel type, so confusing
>
> Timescale available 3 days
>
> Any help appreciated....

I'd recommend you take a look at FotoMagico:

<http://www.boinx.com/fotomagico/overview/>

You could use various combinations of the software you've listed but if
the TIFFs are different sizes, portrait & landscape etc. it will be a
bit of a slog.

Stuart
--
cut that out to reply
From: Elliott Roper on
In article <1j8wu9f.o0cu7d1etg996N%info(a)that.sundog.co.uk>, SM
<info(a)that.sundog.co.uk> wrote:

> iballooka <kamtek(a)nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hope for some help on a workflow...
> >
> > Objective
> >
> > Transfer around 500 Tiff Images onto a DVD to play on 1080p HD LCD TV
> >
> > Image quality the utmost priority.

You won't get the best quality off an ordinary DVD. You will be limited
to 720*576 pixels and with a 1080p display, those 720 pixels will be
very landscaped indeed.

In FCP set your project to PAL DV anamorphic.
You could import all 500 of them into your FCP bins and work on them
from there.
I can't see any alternative to cropping by hand if your pictures are
not already 16:9. I'd use Aperture to do that. Crop one with the crop
rectangle centred, lift, select all the others and stamp. Adjust one by
one to taste. About 2 sec each plus thinking time. Export as jpg within
1920*1080 (as long as they are all larger to start with).

Or, I'd bust 'em all back to jpg with GraphicConverter's convert and
modify, and probably look at a renaming exercise there if there were
some criterion like image date that would put them into a sensible
order.

You could do the almost whole job in GraphicConverter if you were happy
with a constant interval between slides. It can produce a movie that
you could give straight to FCS's Compressor to burn your DVD.

However, before doing all that work, check your 1080p telly does not
have a USB in for flash cards. Then you could throw all your newly
created jpgs onto it and run the slide show from the telly. I'd
estimate about 5 minutes human time and about 20 minutes elapsed to
prepare the whole disaster. (Oh plus how long you want to spend
cropping to 16:9)

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810 E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248
From: Martin-S on
In article <hd7il0$vdn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
iballooka <kamtek(a)nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:

> Transfer around 500 Tiff Images onto a DVD to play on 1080p HD LCD TV
>
> Image quality the utmost priority.

Here's what I do:

- crop & resize the images to exactly match the TV's resolution and
aspect ratio.

- bring them in the order you'd like them to appear and name them
sequentially.

- save them as highest quality jpegs and burn onto a disc.

That will play nicely in any modern DVD player. They all have the
ability to decompress jpeg format. It doesn't need to be a properly
formatted DVD, even a simple ISO data CD will do.

You can stop and advance manually like a slide show.

As to the colour space I've had the best results with sRGB.

--
Martin
From: iballooka on
On 2009-11-09 18:38:47 +0000, Martin-S <cgzjmthpzs(a)lzrpqi.net> said:

> In article <hd7il0$vdn$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
> iballooka <kamtek(a)nospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Transfer around 500 Tiff Images onto a DVD to play on 1080p HD LCD TV
>>
>> Image quality the utmost priority.
>
> Here's what I do:
>
> - crop & resize the images to exactly match the TV's resolution and
> aspect ratio.
>
> - bring them in the order you'd like them to appear and name them
> sequentially.
>
> - save them as highest quality jpegs and burn onto a disc.
>

> That will play nicely in any modern DVD player. They all have the
> ability to decompress jpeg format. It doesn't need to be a properly
> formatted DVD, even a simple ISO data CD will do.
>
> You can stop and advance manually like a slide show.
>
> As to the colour space I've had the best results with sRGB.

This solution is very practical for the time scale I have, thanks...
--
Mike