From: Lil' Abner on
I have a computer here that has been blacklisted by our provider because it
was sending out spam email. The ISP recommends using Stinger (among other
apps) to clean it up. So I ran it and when it was finished it did not
indicate that it had found anything. My question is... is there supposed to
be a report? Could it possibly be that it just fixed it and made no mention
of it? Seems like I had that happen to me once before and the computer was
clean.

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com>

| I have a computer here that has been blacklisted by our provider because
it
| was sending out spam email. The ISP recommends using Stinger (among other
| apps) to clean it up. So I ran it and when it was finished it did not
| indicate that it had found anything. My question is... is there supposed
| be a report? Could it possibly be that it just fixed it and made no
mention
| of it? Seems like I had that happen to me once before and the computer was
| clean.

| --
| --- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---

If McAfee Stinger found anything you would indeed know it.

What OTHER tools have you used to determine there is nothing on the PC ?

BTW: The McAfee Stinger utility provides a small subset of what the McAfee
Module of my Multi AV Scanning Tool provides.
Try it as well as the Sophos module on the affected PC.

--
Dave

From: Lil' Abner on
"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in

> From: "Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com>
>
>| I have a computer here that has been blacklisted by our provider
>| because
> it
>| was sending out spam email. The ISP recommends using Stinger (among
>| other apps) to clean it up. So I ran it and when it was finished it
>| did not indicate that it had found anything. My question is... is
>| there supposed
>| be a report? Could it possibly be that it just fixed it and made no
> mention
>| of it? Seems like I had that happen to me once before and the
>| computer was clean.
>
>| --
>| --- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
>
> If McAfee Stinger found anything you would indeed know it.
>
> What OTHER tools have you used to determine there is nothing on the PC
> ?
>
> BTW: The McAfee Stinger utility provides a small subset of what the
> McAfee Module of my Multi AV Scanning Tool provides.
> Try it as well as the Sophos module on the affected PC.

Well, as many times as you've posted a link to your Multi AV, the only one
I can find right now is in German!

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---
From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com>

| Well, as many times as you've posted a link to your Multi AV, the only one
| I can find right now is in German!

Swiss-German :-)

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctip.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
or
http://212.98.39.7/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe

http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
or
http://212.98.39.7/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

file.

--
Dave

From: Lil' Abner on

> From: "Lil' Abner" <blvstk(a)dogpatch.com>
>

>| Well, as many times as you've posted a link to your Multi AV, the
>| only one I can find right now is in German!
>
> Swiss-German :-)
>

> Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
> http://www.pctip.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
> or
> http://212.98.39.7/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
>
> http://www.pctip.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp
> or
> http://212.98.39.7/downloads/dl/35905.asp
>

> To use this utility, perform the following...
> Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder
> C:\AV-CLS } Choose; Unzip
> Choose; Close
>
> Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
> { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS }
>
> When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
> comprehensive PDF help file.

So far I'm striking out
Sophos:
c:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21-1229272821-651377827-725345543-1003\Dc12.exe
\SfxArchiveData\INSTMTDR.EXE\SfxArchiveData\CHALLENGE.XML (unexpected
error [0x8000ffff])
Scan aborted due to an unrecoverable error.

Kapersky downloads all the files and asks if you want to scan a specific
folder. I tried NO and then I tried C:. Either way it just went back to
the start menu. Trying McAffee now.

This has been a highly frustrating situation. These people have two
computers running through a router. Since they were spewing spam, the ISP
blacklisted the router. The other computer had quite a bit of spyware and
junk on it, so I copied off all their documents, reformatted it and put
the documents back. She took that computer home and I have the other one
here. The ISP says she is *still* spewing spam with the computer I wiped
and reinstalled Windows in. The one I have here was spewing when it was
hooked up alone to the router as well.
Stinger alone has always taken care of it on previous cases like this.

--
--- Everybody has a right to my opinion. ---