From: Rex on
Hi.

Am running XP Home edition SP2 on toshiba laptop. Started getting black
screen. Managed to get to point where the laptop is not continuously
rebooting and managed to log on and check off "restart on failure box". The
laptop crashed a day later and now gives blue screen error
"Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive
(file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate".

I do not have floppy drive. I do not have home edition installation setup
cd or restore installation on laptop. I have managed to get hold of XP
Professional edition setup disk.
I have tried to follow instructions on "How to recover from a corrupted
registry that prevents Windows XP from starting document"
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/en-us ) as i can get to the recovery
console command prompt, but get stuck at part one

md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

i get the error message after typing "copy c:\windows\repair\system
c:\windows\system32\config\system" the system cannot find the file specified.
If the setup disk id 'd:', what location would the required files be at.

Can anyone suggest any other fixes. I would like to fix this before it
needs to go back to uni on sunday.

Thanks, REX