From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Hello List,
Forgive me if this is a noob question, but is it possible to fill a
database table with actual image data, IE a jpeg? And then call that
data to display the image?
Or is it better to just reference it stored on the server somewhere
and just put the url in the database?
Thanks,

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Ok, now here is another question from what you stated.
Is there a way to compress the image data before storing, like a zip
archive does to files?
Thanks for your response.

Karl

On Feb 3, 2010, at 1:45 AM, Chaitanya Yanamadala wrote:

> It i possible to store the image in the database. But it will
> increase the database size.
> So try referring the URL..

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Phpster on
Sure is. Save the data in a blob field. Lots of examples on the net
on how to get it there and back out again.

Note that you will also find arguments about whether or not to do it
in the first place. I prefer not to, as it causes significant
performance issues when the image table gets to a certain size.

Bastien

Sent from my iPod

From: Patrick Price on
I would say that only if this is going to be a very small project should you
think about storing the images in the db. I had a contract job for a real
estate company that had stored all their images in the database. They had
~25K rows of data where each image was ~5K and their website was going down
weekly.

I had to rewrite the entire image upload/retrieval system for their site to
change it to folder based storage.

Just my thoughts...

Thanks

patrick

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Thank you all for your numerous responses.

I hear you loud and clear. I was wanting to see if it would be less
of a burden on the server and secure my images better to put the
images inside a database, but
as you all have almost uniformly stated, this would not be the best
situation.
I currently have all my images referenced by url in my database and
stored in a folder/s and I think I will keep it that way...

Thanks for your 2 cents,

:)

Karl