From: RamenWarrior on
I am adding WMI support to my storport driver and used the sample code in the
DDK iSCSI driver as a foundation. My driver is simply trying to support the
HBA API and does not have any unique data to provide. There is no MOF for my
driver and I am simply using the GUID provided in Windows header files to
describe the data that can be retrieved from my driver.

The first time I executed my code I got a BSOD. After tracing through the
code, I determined that the srb->DataPath was NULL and that pointer was being
used inside scsiwmi.lib while processing the WMI request. I replaced the NULL
with a pointer to a GUID that I support and the code executed without
crashing.

I am not sure why the srb->DataPath would be used for the first WMI request.
I was expecting it to be a simple QueryRegInfo request, trying to identify
the MOF that might be defined in my storport driver.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening?
From: RamenWarrior on
Someone else reported that they saw srb->DataPath was NULL for the first
request in their storport driver as well. Is it possible this problem is
caused by not having a BMF file included in my .rc file? As I mentioned in
the original post, I have no private data and assumed these definitions were
optional.

From: James Antognini [MSFT] James Antognini on
On Win7 at least (where I just tried), it's to be expected that the first WMI
SRB will have pSrb->DataPath = 0. I cannot explain the bugcheck you saw.
Since, as far as I know, a miniport saying it's a WMI provider must always
provide a .mof resource name, your problem may result from not doing so. Do
as I did, create a .mof with a few classes from HBAAPI.mof (I assume that's
what your reference to "HBA API" means) and see if things work.

From: eagersh on
On Jun 18, 10:34 am, RamenWarrior <RamenWarr...(a)nospam.nospam> wrote:
> I am adding WMI support to my storport driver and used the sample code in the
> DDK iSCSI driver as a foundation. My driver is simply trying to support the
> HBA API and does not have any unique data to provide. There is no MOF for my
> driver and I am simply using the GUID provided in Windows header files to
> describe the data that can be retrieved from my driver.
>
> The first time I executed my code I got a BSOD. After tracing through the
> code, I determined that the srb->DataPath was NULL and that pointer was being
> used inside scsiwmi.lib while processing the WMI request. I replaced the NULL
> with a pointer to a GUID that I support and the code executed without
> crashing.
>
> I am not sure why the srb->DataPath would be used for the first WMI request.
> I was expecting it to be a simple QueryRegInfo request, trying to identify
> the MOF that might be defined in my storport driver.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas about what might be happening?

Compile and attach as a resource the standard HBA API mof file.
Somebody report similar problem at OSR forum around month ago. A
person who ask the same question tried to implement exact solution -
putting existing GUID to DataPath. After that he got another problem.
I don't remember details but you could make search on OSR archive. He
solved the problem by compiling and attaching HBA API mof file as I
suggest.

Igor Sharovar