From: Allodoxaphobia on
On 11 Feb 2010 21:06:18 GMT, Seebs wrote:
> On 2010-02-11, Pankaj <harpreet.noni(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a environment file in my test directory on DEV host
>
>> $ ls -ltr /dev/test/env_test
>> $ rwx------ 1 May 11 2006 env_test
>
> Uh.
>
> "/dev" is, on at least some machines, a deeply magical thing which is
> not an ordinary filesystem.
>
> I would never in a million years store an environment file in /dev.

Dunno 'bout that. I put 'stuff' in /dev/shm/ all the time...
Granted, it's 'stuff' I won't expect to find there after the next
(re)boot....

Jonesy
From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

> I am running it under a solaris box in ksh

.... which is a particular reason to do as M. Seebach said and not use /dev.
From: Jon LaBadie on
Pankaj wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a environment file in my test directory on DEV host
>
> $ ls -ltr /dev/test/env_test
> $ rwx------ 1 May 11 2006 env_test
>
> But if I try to access this file in a script I get file not found
> error
>
> $ cat test.ksh
>
> #! /bin/ksh -p
>
> . /dev/test/env_test
>
> $ test.ksh
> test.ksh[2]: /dev/test/env_test: not found
>
> I am working on this for an hour now. What is going on? Any help would
> be appreciated.
>
> I am running it under a solaris box in ksh

Shouldn't happen if you are sourcing the env_test file, but if you
try to execute a script with a bad "#!<interpreter>" first line,
ksh gives the "not found" message.