From: Pankaj on
Greetings,

I have a environment file in my test directory on DEV host

$ ls -ltr /dev/test/env_test
$ rwx------ 1 May 11 2006 env_test

But if I try to access this file in a script I get file not found
error

$ cat test.ksh

#! /bin/ksh -p

.. /dev/test/env_test

$ test.ksh
test.ksh[2]: /dev/test/env_test: not found

I am working on this for an hour now. What is going on? Any help would
be appreciated.

I am running it under a solaris box in ksh
From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-11, Pankaj <harpreet.noni(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a environment file in my test directory on DEV host

> $ ls -ltr /dev/test/env_test
> $ rwx------ 1 May 11 2006 env_test

Uh.

"/dev" is, on at least some machines, a deeply magical thing which is
not an ordinary filesystem.

I would never in a million years store an environment file in /dev.

I don't know if that's your problem, but the very first thing I'd try
would be to put the file in /tmp and try it there.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Pankaj on
On Feb 11, 4:06 pm, Seebs <usenet-nos...(a)seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2010-02-11, Pankaj <harpreet.n...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a environment file in my test directory on DEV host
> > $  ls -ltr /dev/test/env_test
> > $ rwx------   1 May 11  2006 env_test
>
> Uh.
>
> "/dev" is, on at least some machines, a deeply magical thing which is
> not an ordinary filesystem.
>
> I would never in a million years store an environment file in /dev.
>
> I don't know if that's your problem, but the very first thing I'd try
> would be to put the file in /tmp and try it there.
>
> -s
> --
> Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nos...(a)seebs.nethttp://www.seebs.net/log/<-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictureshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology) <-- get educated!

Seebs, it does not even work if I put it in another directory. Same
error again.
From: Seebs on
On 2010-02-11, Pankaj <harpreet.noni(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Seebs, it does not even work if I put it in another directory. Same
> error again.

Hmm.

I can't reproduce this. I'm not on the same host, obviously, but:

$ cat /tmp/env_test
echo "got here!"
$ cat test.ksh
#!/bin/ksh
.. /tmp/env_test
$ ksh test.ksh
got here!

Okay, next thing to check: Verify that your script isn't, say, a DOS-format
file with ^Ms at the ends of lines, because that will do this:

$ ksh test.ksh
: not found: .: /tmp/env_test

Note the "not found" showing up before the name because there is a carriage
return at the end of the name.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam(a)seebs.net
From: Pankaj on
On Feb 11, 4:43 pm, Seebs <usenet-nos...(a)seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2010-02-11, Pankaj <harpreet.n...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Seebs, it does not even work if I put it in another directory. Same
> > error again.
>
> Hmm.
>
> I can't reproduce this.  I'm not on the same host, obviously, but:
>
> $ cat /tmp/env_test
> echo "got here!"
> $ cat test.ksh
> #!/bin/ksh
> . /tmp/env_test
> $ ksh test.ksh
> got here!
>
> Okay, next thing to check:  Verify that your script isn't, say, a DOS-format
> file with ^Ms at the ends of lines, because that will do this:
>
> $ ksh test.ksh
> : not found: .: /tmp/env_test
>
> Note the "not found" showing up before the name because there is a carriage
> return at the end of the name.
>
> -s
> --
> Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nos...(a)seebs.nethttp://www.seebs.net/log/<-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictureshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Game_(Scientology) <-- get educated!

Thanks Seebs. But it seems this is not the case as my "not found" is
coming at the end of error line.

test.ksh[2]: /testing/test/env_test: not found

Could it be the case that script is looking into another hostname than
existing one. I mean, we have 3 regions with same directory structure
and different hostnames. Could be the possibility, that the
environment is pointing to some other hostname than where it is
currently running? Just a guess.