From: SQL on
Can someone give practical guidelines on how and when the data
partition to be used? I am looking for a specific pointers such as how
many cols (??) are too many to start looking at vertical partinioning
and how many rows (counts) are too many for a horizontal paritioning?
What is the performance criteria be considered for partitioning?
From: John Bell on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 15:56:14 -0700 (PDT), SQL <texassqldba(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Can someone give practical guidelines on how and when the data
>partition to be used? I am looking for a specific pointers such as how
>many cols (??) are too many to start looking at vertical partinioning
>and how many rows (counts) are too many for a horizontal paritioning?
>What is the performance criteria be considered for partitioning?

Hi

I don't think there is a hard rule for this, you have to look whole
picture i.e the data, hardware, applications and how they are
used/designed

This may help:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345146(SQL.90).aspx#sql2k5parti_topic1

John