From: Zach on
I am reading from an ASCII file containing addresses. Those addresses are
being combined with a letter to produce a mailing. So there is reading with
StreamReader (the address) and writing with StreamWriter (the address +
letter assembly).

Some of the addresses contain funnies like accents and what the Germans
would call Umlauts etc., etc.

I have tried

Encoding.UTF8
new UTFEncoding()
Encoding.ASCII

Neither of them do the job of properly dealing with the funnies.

Can someone help me out?

Many thanks,
Zach.

From: Jeff Johnson on
"Zach" <xx(a)yy.zz> wrote in message

>I am reading from an ASCII file containing addresses. Those addresses are
>being combined with a letter to produce a mailing. So there is reading with
>StreamReader (the address) and writing with StreamWriter (the address +
>letter assembly).
>
> Some of the addresses contain funnies like accents and what the Germans
> would call Umlauts etc., etc.
>
> I have tried
>
> Encoding.UTF8
> new UTFEncoding()
> Encoding.ASCII
>
> Neither of them do the job of properly dealing with the funnies.

Nope, they wouldn't. Try Encoding.Default first. If that doesn't work then
you'll have to determine the code page that the file was created with, and
that probably won't be fun.

From: Zach on
"Jeff Johnson" <i.get(a)enough.spam> wrote in message
> "Zach" <xx(a)yy.zz> wrote in message
<snipped>
> Nope, they wouldn't. Try Encoding.Default first. If that doesn't work then
> you'll have to determine the code page that the file was created with, and
> that probably won't be fun.
I had a brain wave, I read the file into Word, and saved it as text,
selecting the encoding. It worked.
Zach.

From: Harlan Messinger on
Zach wrote:
> I am reading from an ASCII file containing addresses. Those addresses
> are being combined with a letter to produce a mailing. So there is
> reading with StreamReader (the address) and writing with StreamWriter
> (the address + letter assembly).
>
> Some of the addresses contain funnies like accents and what the Germans
> would call Umlauts etc., etc.

If the file contains accented characters, then it isn't an ASCII file.
You need to find out what the file's encoding *really* is.

> I have tried
>
> Encoding.UTF8
> new UTFEncoding()
> Encoding.ASCII

As I said, you need to know what the file's encoding is rather than
randomly trying things.
From: Zach on
"Harlan Messinger" <h.usenetremoverthis(a)gavelcade.com> wrote in message
< snipped>
> As I said, you need to know what the file's encoding is rather than
> randomly trying things.

Sorry, you didn't read my previous post? When you load a file to Word, Word
does the sorting out bit, subsequently you can select the encoding with
which to file the page in Word to a new file. That only takes a minute, and
isn't randomly trying things.

Zach.