From: Rick Dwyer on
Hello List.

I need to parse the PATH portion of URL. I have assigned the path
portion to a variable using the following:

$thepath = parse_url($url);

Now I need to break each portion of the path down into its own
variable. The problem is, the path can vary considerably as follows:

/mydirectory/mysubdirectory/anothersubdirectory/mypage.php

vs.

/mydirectory/mypage.php

How do I get the either of the above url paths broken out so the
variables equal the following

$dir1 = mydirectory
$dir2 = mysubdirectory
$dir3 = anothersubdirectory
$page = mypage.php

....etc... if there were 5 more subdirectories... they would be
dynamically assigned to a variable.

Thanks for any help.

--Rick

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 18:13 -0400, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> Hello List.
>
> I need to parse the PATH portion of URL. I have assigned the path
> portion to a variable using the following:
>
> $thepath = parse_url($url);
>

> Now I need to break each portion of the path down into its own
> variable. The problem is, the path can vary considerably as follows:
>
> /mydirectory/mysubdirectory/anothersubdirectory/mypage.php
>
> vs.
>
> /mydirectory/mypage.php
>
> How do I get the either of the above url paths broken out so the
> variables equal the following
>
> $dir1 = mydirectory
> $dir2 = mysubdirectory
> $dir3 = anothersubdirectory
> $page = mypage.php
>
> ...etc... if there were 5 more subdirectories... they would be
> dynamically assigned to a variable.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --Rick

$filename = basename($path);
$parts = explode('/', $path);
$directories = array_pop($parts);

Now you have your directories in the $directories array and the filename
in $filename.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Karl DeSaulniers on

On Jun 13, 2010, at 5:13 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> Hello List.
>
> I need to parse the PATH portion of URL. I have assigned the path
> portion to a variable using the following:
>
> $thepath = parse_url($url);
>

> Now I need to break each portion of the path down into its own
> variable. The problem is, the path can vary considerably as follows:
>
> /mydirectory/mysubdirectory/anothersubdirectory/mypage.php
>
> vs.
>
> /mydirectory/mypage.php
>
> How do I get the either of the above url paths broken out so the
> variables equal the following
>
> $dir1 = mydirectory
> $dir2 = mysubdirectory
> $dir3 = anothersubdirectory
> $page = mypage.php
>
> ...etc... if there were 5 more subdirectories... they would be
> dynamically assigned to a variable.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> --Rick

Hi Rick,

Just a thought, but cant you do something to separate them according
to the "/" (forward slash)?
maybe preg_replace or something. Sorry not much more help.

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on

On Jun 13, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 18:13 -0400, Rick Dwyer wrote:
>
>> Hello List.
>>
>> I need to parse the PATH portion of URL. I have assigned the path
>> portion to a variable using the following:
>>
>> $thepath = parse_url($url);
>>

>> Now I need to break each portion of the path down into its own
>> variable. The problem is, the path can vary considerably as follows:
>>
>> /mydirectory/mysubdirectory/anothersubdirectory/mypage.php
>>
>> vs.
>>
>> /mydirectory/mypage.php
>>
>> How do I get the either of the above url paths broken out so the
>> variables equal the following
>>
>> $dir1 = mydirectory
>> $dir2 = mysubdirectory
>> $dir3 = anothersubdirectory
>> $page = mypage.php
>>
>> ...etc... if there were 5 more subdirectories... they would be
>> dynamically assigned to a variable.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>
>> --Rick
>>

> $filename = basename($path);
> $parts = explode('/', $path);
> $directories = array_pop($parts);
>
> Now you have your directories in the $directories array and the
> filename
> in $filename.
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Hi Ash,
What about the "//" in the beginning?

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 17:27 -0500, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2010-06-13 at 18:13 -0400, Rick Dwyer wrote:
> >
> >> Hello List.
> >>
> >> I need to parse the PATH portion of URL. I have assigned the path
> >> portion to a variable using the following:
> >>
> >> $thepath = parse_url($url);
> >>

> >> Now I need to break each portion of the path down into its own
> >> variable. The problem is, the path can vary considerably as follows:
> >>
> >> /mydirectory/mysubdirectory/anothersubdirectory/mypage.php
> >>
> >> vs.
> >>
> >> /mydirectory/mypage.php
> >>
> >> How do I get the either of the above url paths broken out so the
> >> variables equal the following
> >>
> >> $dir1 = mydirectory
> >> $dir2 = mysubdirectory
> >> $dir3 = anothersubdirectory
> >> $page = mypage.php
> >>
> >> ...etc... if there were 5 more subdirectories... they would be
> >> dynamically assigned to a variable.
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help.
> >>
> >> --Rick
> >>

> > $filename = basename($path);
> > $parts = explode('/', $path);
> > $directories = array_pop($parts);
> >
> > Now you have your directories in the $directories array and the
> > filename
> > in $filename.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> Hi Ash,
> What about the "//" in the beginning?
>

> Karl DeSaulniers
> Design Drumm
> http://designdrumm.com

As your example string didn't have a double slash I didn't write code
for that, but it's easy enough to remove 0-length strings from the
$directories array.