From: eric weasel on
Ben Goldman wrote:
> I've got a Telecaster neck for a guitar I'm building. Would a string
> retainer bar be a suitable alternative to string trees?

Sure. It will also give you a more consistent breaking angle over the nut.
eric
From: $am booka on
"Ben Goldman" <BenGoldmanREMOVE(a)centurytel.net> tapped the mic and
amongst other things, said, "Is this on?"

> I've got a Telecaster neck for a guitar I'm building. Would a string
> retainer bar be a suitable alternative to string trees?

Strings will hang up in the nut after bends, like with trees. This isn't
too much of a problem with a whammy bar as you just dip the bar after
every solo to snap back into tune. String retainers make the best of a
bad situation with stock tele's, strat's, jazzmaster's, etc. by
increasing down pressure on the nut to boost the sustain. Using a reverse
headstock also adds to the total by shortening the distance of low mass
strings from the peg to the nut.

--
All the perplexities, confusion, and distress in America arise,
not from defects in their Constitution or confederation, not
From: $am booka on
"$am booka" <Your(a)email.com> tapped the mic and amongst other things,
said, "Is this on?" news:Xns9CBF545C191DAAlbertaClipper(a)94.75.244.51:

> "Ben Goldman" <BenGoldmanREMOVE(a)centurytel.net> tapped the mic and
> amongst other things, said, "Is this on?"
>
>> I've got a Telecaster neck for a guitar I'm building. Would a string
>> retainer bar be a suitable alternative to string trees?
>
> Strings will hang up in the nut after bends, like with trees. This
> isn't too much of a problem with a whammy bar as you just dip the bar
> after every solo to snap back into tune. String retainers make the
> best of a bad situation with stock tele's, strat's, jazzmaster's,
> etc. by increasing down pressure on the nut to boost the sustain.
> Using a reverse headstock also adds to the total by shortening the
> distance of low mass strings from the peg to the nut.

Hey... it missed the last sentence...

A string retainer bar can do the same thing by shortening that effective
distance.

From: Steve_Karl on
Short story:
Eric has a good point
but
My new strat ( the padouk neck ... the body is almost done with finishing )
.... I bought 3 trees for it. I'm going to try very very hard to not have to ever install them.

.... and ...

Long story: ( quite possible some strange delusion I have ... )
location of the trees, when they're the kind that manage 2 strings at once,
can have an effect on string stiffness, just the sale way the stiffness is effected
by the location of the string termination at the butt end.

Example ... a Les Paul ... raise the butt tail piece out of the body a bit and the
stiffness changes. Put a trapeze tail piece on there and it really changes.

I ended up putting a double tree on my old Warmoth strat to hold down the low E and A
because of the way they felt when playing. They needed to feel stiffer.
It worked.

A bar won't allow you to pop a string out from under it's tree
and then retune and get back to playing. It's not possible.
I've done that on occasion just to get a new perspective on how something ( a lick or piece of music ) should feel.

Also, I don't believe the bar will be as low as the double trees go.
http://www.warmoth.com/Barrel-Retainer-for-Guitar-Gold-P438C79.aspx

Also a lot of the people on the Warmoth forum see string trees or bars of any kind to be
an abomination so appearently they're not really necessary.

I've always has an idea somehow to make them adjustable by using a machine screw
that screws into a socket that is pressed into the head stock. ( yea .. major abomination )

My new strat ( the padouk neck ... the body is almost done with finishing )
.... I bought 3 trees for it. I'm going to try very very hard to not have to ever install them.

Steve

From: Steve_Karl on
And then the modding begins ...

http://sightsea.com/renders/string_tree.jpg

<Roger Rabbit>
Eddie p'p'p'p'p'leaseeeeeeeeeeeee make it stop !!
< /RR>