From: Deej Hernandez on
I am using Office 2007Word and I have eleven Quick Style sets. ALL of them
have the same style for formatting numbers. In nine of the Style sets the
Numbers style applies correctly. In two of the sets when applying the
Numbers style the Styles section of the ribbon indicates the style has been
applied. However nothing changes, the formatting remains as it was before
the style was applied. ALL Style sets have the style set up exactly the same
way. ALL of them are Linked,the Style based on is set to no style, and the
Style name and Style for following paragraph are both Numbers.

Can anyone tell me what is going on with the Style sets and how to make
those two sets apply the style correctly?
From: Doug Robbins - Word MVP on
Without being able to sit at your computer, I cannot tell why that is
happening, but for the Styles in question, check that the number has been
set up in the manner described on the following page of fellow MVP Shauna
Kelly's website:

http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/numbering/OutlineNumbering.html

--
Hope this helps.