From: BruceS on
On Mar 10, 1:29 pm, Anand Hariharan <mailto.anand.hariha...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Mar 4, 8:40 am, Richard <rgrd...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> (...)
>
> > You dont say "if pi is larger than p".You say "if p is larger than
> > pi".
>
> They are not equivalent statements. ;-)

No, they certainly aren't (good catch)! If one writes code with the
assumption that these are the same, one introduces a bug. So, a
better question might be which of the following would you say:

"e is larger than pi"
"pi is larger than e"

?

I know which *I* prefer.
From: Richard Bos on
BruceS <bruces42(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 10, 7:14=A0am, ralt...(a)xs4all.nl (Richard Bos) wrote:
> > BruceS <bruce...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > That's a good one; I'll try to remember it.
> > > FWIW, the K&R bit was intentional, to make the joke more obvious. =A0Not
> > > obvious enough for some, but apparently I either overestimated the
> > > volume in the ng, or underestimated the mass. =A0My bad.
> >
> > No, as should by now be clear, you underestimated the number of people
> > who have made such arguments in this newsgroup in all seriousness. I
> > didn't understand it was a joke, not because it wasn't jokey enough, but
> > because too many people before you have said similar things with no
> > jocular intent at all.
>
> OK, I'm glad we're clear now. It's either sad or laughable (maybe
> both) that people do take this so seriously.

Definitely both. Hence my misdirected attempt at sarcasm.

> So no matter how silly I try to be, someone else acts the same way
> being serious.

Depends on the subject; this is certainly one for which that is almost
true. Almost; even I would smell a rat if someone posted

if

{
/* code... */

}

Richard
From: Richard Heathfield on
Richard Bos wrote:
> John Gordon <gordon(a)panix.com> wrote:
>
>> But if you had typed it this way:
>>
>> if (7 = x)
>>
>> The compiler will throw an error.
>
> So now you come to rely on this to prevent mistypes.

Wrong. The compiler cannot prevent mistypes. Not even the editor can
prevent mistypes.

> And then you write what should be
>
> if (x == y)
>
> and you switch the operands for safety, so you write
>
> if (y = x)

Why?

> and because you have got completely out of the habit of paying attention
> to what you actually write (because, after all, if you had made a typo
> the compiler would have thrown an error, right?)

That has not been my experience...

>, you fail to notice the
> mistake even after reading that section of code thirteen times.

....and neither has that.

> Meanwhile, your colleague, who does not rely on such broken crutches,
> spots it with a single glance at the code.

It's not a crutch, it's not broken, and nobody has suggested relying on it.

Email: -http://www. +rjh@
Sig line vacant - apply within
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63